Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up! I have a 2001 SLK320 I just bought, and I'm in the process of detailing and fixing a few minor problems.

The one that has me stumped in my interior rear view mirror. It is loose...the part that is glued to the windshield is fine, but the part that slips over that is loose. I see the hole in the backside of the mirror mount, but I can't determine what tool goes in there to tighten it down.

I've searched here, google, and youtube, without luck, and I've lowered the roof and become a contortionist trying to see what is needed. All I find are references to the mirrors that attach to the headliner area. I would have thought the tool of choice would have been an allen wrench, but it does't appear to be the case.

Your guidance is sought and appreciated.

Ed

·
Founding Member 2006
108,894 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That one didn't come up, but I now have that series bookmarked.

I have the mirror removed from the mount, and everything "looks" OK, but if I were to snap the mirror back onto the mount it would still be quite loose...like flop around loose when you go to adjust it in the normal way.

So...is there a remedy for making this tight the way it had to have been when new?

Thanks

·
Founding Member 2006
108,894 Posts
our experts will jump in when they can

·
Registered
93 Posts
That hole should house an allen head screw, if it doesn't have one, and is just an empty hole, you can go to a place like Ace hardware, and find one that fits. It puts torque on the mounting bracket that is glued to the glass.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That hole should house an allen head screw, if it doesn't have one, and is just an empty hole, you can go to a place like Ace hardware, and find one that fits. It puts torque on the mounting bracket that is glued to the glass.
It is odd that the screw was not mentioned in any of the posts or pictures I found, but it makes complete sense. The hole did not have any evidence of being threaded, but it was easy enough to use an M6x1 tap and put some threads in there.

I had a variety of machine screws to choose from so everything is back in place and snugged up.

Thanks for the info and saving me the embarrassment of utilizing the duct tape solution I was considering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.