Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,189 Posts
snake oil my friend.

Disclaimer:
Due to factors beyond the control of ChrisFix, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of this information.

·
94,189 Posts

·
94,189 Posts
Mercedes uses it. read the thread if you haven't

he says would cost a lot of money every fillup. you're not supposed to use it every fillup. Plus it cost like $7
and how can you compare that vehicle to a well cared for mercedes?

·
Registered
38 Posts
All modern engines employ a knock sensor which retards timing (and hence horsepower) when using lower octane fuel. In this test if the fuel in the tank was not high enough octane to allow for maximum timing the knock sensor would retard timing slightly to protect the engine from pre-detonation. If the additive increases fuel octane the engine computer will allow for more advanced ignition timing and hence more horsepower. The lesson here is use high quality (Chevron or Shell) fuel with an octane rating of 93. This will produce maximum attainable horsepower from your engine without need for an octane booster which is no doubt what this stuff does.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Different testing methods. Europe uses Research Octane Number and U.S uses Motor Octane Number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Oh, and Tesco in UK also sell a fuel claimed to be 99 RON.
As already mentioned, the US uses Anti Knock Index as a fuel rating and pump grade. So a 93 AKI fuel grade is similar to a European 97-98 super unleaded.

The difference between MON and RON is called sensitivity and can according to EN-228 be as much as 10 octane numbers. A lot of modern engines don't like low sensitivity (high MON) fuels. They have what is termed a negative octane index.

Tesco do sell a fuel that is 99 RON, but I would say that not all fuels are the same. ;)

·
another lovely day!
309 Posts
I have always been on 95, never 98 and my car has always been nice to me, never an enginee problem or whatever, so I will be sticking to that :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts