Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all ... First day in the group and I've got some questions. I'm looking for something small, fun, and convertible for the summer and the SLK has popped into my view. I've been looking around and I've seen some very affordable, yet very old models. I'm not looking to lay out a lot, somewhere between $5k - $7k, so it seems that I'm gravitating towards the 2000-2001 SLK 230 or 320, although I really like the updated styling of the 2005+ models. As mentioned they are old, 17-18 years, and mileage seems to be in the 93k - 150k range. I've got my eye on one right now. A 2000 SLK a little under 100k miles for around $6k. Looks like good condition and well serviced. Haven't gotten to go see it yet, as it's an hour and a half away from me. Probably checking it out this weekend time and availability permitting.

I am wondering if these cars, in particular the one I'm looking at, at this age and millage, are reliable enough to lay out the money for and if there is anything I should watch out for? Known issues, things to stay away from? Warranty/no warranty? 230 vs 320? Get a later model?

The car will primarily be for my wife, as she commutes to work (a 42 mile round trip) in the summer, as well as for some summer driving. I'm aware maintenance and repairs will be higher than your typical ride, as gas and oil will both need to be of premium quality, and parts don't come cheap. What would be the expected annual maintenance budget for an older car like this? Anything that can help steer me in the right direction would help.

Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,540 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,264 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina! This forum is a treasure trove of information on both models you are considering. Condition and maintenance are key...not necessarily mileage. Make you a short list of what you want and then add patience.

·
96,540 Posts

·
96,540 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.