Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

great site. Lots of information. I'm looking to purchase an SLK32 AMG. Had a few questions i'm hoping to get answered before I pull the trigger.

1. Are there any major differences between model years 2003 and 2004? or for that matter between any of the SLK32 AMG model years? I.E different transmission etc?

2. What are some major issues I should look for.

3. What is the trunk space like when the top is down? Is there absolutely no space at all or is there enough room for a couple of bags for overnight trips?

4. Has anyone imported a SLK32 from the US into Canada and can provide some feedback?

Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,187 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr)(when u get one) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Hi guys,

great site. Lots of information. I'm looking to purchase an SLK32 AMG. Had a few questions i'm hoping to get answered before I pull the trigger.

1. Are there any major differences between model years 2003 and 2004? or for that matter between any of the SLK32 AMG model years? I.E different transmission etc?

3. What is the trunk space like when the top is down? Is there absolutely no space at all or is there enough room for a couple of bags for overnight trips?

4. Has anyone imported a SLK32 from the US into Canada and can provide some feedback?

Thanks!
1. Very little. More difference between individual models due to options.
2. Read this and this and this
3. There is enough space for two soft bags.
4. Probably, but not me...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome.Not much to add as I've only got the slk 320 and a UK one at that. Personal opinion- go for black if you can. If I'd found one at the right price I'd have - mines silver which looks good but I think 32's in black look best.

·
Registered
843 Posts
dmjonez listed good threads to check out R-170 issues. You can search this site for SLK32 I/C pump failure symptoms and replacement options. A vigorous test drive should allow you to spot if the car you are considering has a failed pump. It isn't an expensive repair, but the seller should pay for it or lower the selling price appropriately if the pump isn't working.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts

2. As stated the cooling pump for the Supercharger. And I would get the VIN and have someone get you the history from MB as well as car fax.

3. I have more room than I expected. the trick is to put items in the trunk with the top up (making sure the divider is not been touched) and then put the roof down. With soft bags I could take a week trip for two. With the top up there is TONS of room in the trunk.

PM me if you want pics.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck and getting the SLK32 of your dreams!

When you have the car and are looking to get a little more out of it, don't forget to check us out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The trunk space is surprising if you really use your brain to put things in there! I've fit two carry-on sized pieces of luggage, several smaller bags, and a 60lb bag of dog food at the same time. :) WITH THE TOP DOWN. I don't put the top up... if I can't fit it, it doesn't go!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didnt import a 32 but I did just recently import an 01 SLK320. It is a relatively easy process. The biggest issues I had was shipping and then it was expensive to have the daytime running lights put on. If the one you are looking at does not have DRL's then you are looking at $1000 to have MB put them in.

If you have any specific questons feel freeto PM me and I will help ya anyway I can.

·
Registered
604 Posts
if you leave the top up theres enough room for a hyd jack tools AND set of drag radials on rims!!!

the only diff between the yrs is the 040 option pkg which most 32's come with. its headlight washers xenons and a bose system. other than that you have every option available on the car

·
Registered
11 Posts
...and on that note... I have one that I'm thinking of selling. Silver 2002 SLK32 AMG with 70k miles on the odometer. Very good condition overall.
I've literally just decided in the last day to try and sell it so let me know if you're interested at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that getting MB to provide the letter that you need to complete the RIV process in Canada can be a pain in the ass - have you guys experienced that?

I'm looking for a SLK32 AMG in the next 10 months or so myself and want to make sure I know all the costs going in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is very simple to get the letter needed from MB...you ca request it right from their website. No cost to you either. I think I had mine via email in 48hr and hard copy by mail within a little over a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is very simple to get the letter needed from MB...you ca request it right from their website. No cost to you either. I think I had mine via email in 48hr and hard copy by mail within a little over a week.
That is great to know and WAY different from what I have been told previously.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Didnt import a 32 but I did just recently import an 01 SLK320. It is a relatively easy process. The biggest issues I had was shipping and then it was expensive to have the daytime running lights put on. If the one you are looking at does not have DRL's then you are looking at $1000 to have MB put them in.

If you have any specific questons feel freeto PM me and I will help ya anyway I can.
Is there a reason you can't use a $3 relay on the light switch?

:hijacked:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried getting a generic one but it would not work with Xenon's. I didnt have a lot of time to try other things because I only had 45 days to get it inspected and registered or it would be deported! :) There may be another way but I just gave in a went through the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Big SLK Trunk!

Of course, there is less trunk room with the top down, but, amazingly, with the top up the SLK has 90% of the trunk room of a Cadillac CTS! Besides, it's luggage for 2, not for 4!
:hail:

·
Registered
94 Posts
The trunk looks small, but we have taken a number of week long trips in the MB. You have to pack carefully, but it is plenty big with the top down. It is easier to pack with the top up and then put the top down. The stuff in the front of the trunk can be hard to reach with the top down.

For a roadster it has a very large trunk which is a major reason I bought an SLK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.