Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am in sunny Floriduh!
Arrived to pick up my rental from Avis to be told they were short of compacts but the agent then asked what I drove back home. When I told him, he said "well I can give you a Mustang for no extra charge"! Shock and stunned disbelief! :surprise:
So now I'm driving around in a nice new white Mustang and all I need to make my life complete is to find the Sarge to see if all his kill stories are as they seem!>:D
I'm looking for yuh! :grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,142 Posts
where u at? I'm here

·
98,142 Posts
In rainy Naples.
Searched the everglades, Tamiami trail, but nothing!
Guess you're hiding away north of here!>:D
Will you make it any further North?

·
98,142 Posts
34 days until the picnic!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,438 Posts
Next time go to Hertz .......:grin::grin:

In 1965 the Shelby Mustang, which was the brainchild of Carroll Shelby, was released. It came to be known as the high-performance Shelby GT350. This potent Mustang was almost track ready and was a great success at the track and on the street.

In September of 1965 Shelby American General Manager Peyton Cramer struck up a deal with Hertz to offer the 1966 GT350H Mustang as a rental car.

That’s right…a rental car!

The program turned out to be a “win-win” deal for Shelby as it not only promoted the Shelby Mustang to potential buyers, but as Ford put it, “The idea was to put high-performance, special-edition Shelby Mustang coupes into the hands of racing enthusiast-minded rental customers.”

The way the program worked was if you were a Hertz Sports Car Club Member in 1966 and 25 years old you could drive off the rental car lot in a performance 306 hp Mustang fastback. The cost back then was $17 a day and $.17 cents a mile. Who wouldn’t love to rent the Shelby for that back then?

According to sources the 1966 Shelby GT350 had only around 1,001 made. It of course had the Cobra 289 High Performance V8 engine with 306 hp and 329 lb-ft of torque. Although most of the cars did not feature power brakes, a power brake booster was added to some of the vehicles per Hertz's request.

https://myclassicgarage.com/social/posts/79911-1965-shelby-hertz-rental-cars

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,672 Posts
So here I am in sunny Floriduh!
Arrived to pick up my rental from Avis to be told they were short of compacts but the agent then asked what I drove back home. When I told him, he said "well I can give you a Mustang for no extra charge"! Shock and stunned disbelief! :surprise:
So now I'm driving around in a nice new white Mustang and all I need to make my life complete is to find the Sarge to see if all his kill stories are as they seem!>:D
I'm looking for yuh! :grin:
Stay where you are.

An emergency medical team and camera crew have been dispatched.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts