Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 1998 230 Kompressor R170 out of storage.

Bought the car years before I met my wife yet alone ever thought about having kids. Fast forward 22 years and my oldest is nearing 8 and is begging to go for a ride with the top down in his future car.

I tried calling MB to see if they can help me source a newer booster seat with the 'babysmart' transponder. But the best they could do is send me a scan of the old parts manual.

Anyone know where I can get a seat that will turn off the passenger airbag or how i can turn off the passenger airbag on or off and use a normal booster?

I hate to tell him wait another five years. I kept this car so long so I could share it with him!

Thanks so much

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
889 Posts
I recently took my 1998 230 Kompressor R170 out of storage.

Bought the car years before I met my wife yet alone ever thought about having kids. Fast forward 22 years and my oldest is nearing 8 and is begging to go for a ride with the top down in his future car.

I tried calling MB to see if they can help me source a newer booster seat with the 'babysmart' transponder. But the best they could do is send me a scan of the old parts manual.

Anyone know where I can get a seat that will turn off the passenger airbag or how i can turn off the passenger airbag on or off and use a normal booster?

I hate to tell him wait another five years. I kept this car so long so I could share it with him!

Thanks so much

You can buy hardware to fit into a standard car seat that work like the MB seats.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/mercedes-transponder

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
I think MB's own instructions are

no baby seats, and no-one under 14 in the passenger seat. I'm sure I read it in the handbook. I'm going to have to fetch it and check. Like that was ever going to cut the mustard with my two kids:surprise:
Reporting back shortly.

....and knickers untwisted. as follows:-

No-one under 150cms/5ft tall w/out special restraint system ( Straitjacket?). Transponder-fitted, forward facing baby seats only. NO REARWARD FACING SEATS. Move passenger seat to rearmost travel limit.

That 14 year old stuff was about the tip-up seats in my 7-seater s210. except it was over 14 yrs and a certain height. and the rear 2+2 seats in my r107.

Funny thing, memory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts