Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· *Registered
2002 SLK320/2002 SLK32 AMG
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrecking yards only want to ship the entire door card and I just need the door handle and plastic surround as mine has the dreaded "floppy handle" issue.

I have noticed today that in calling all over the west coast, it seems that parts for all the R170 cars are becoming really hard to find. I am in the auto repair business and called nearly every wrecking yard I use and they all told me that they have none or only one R170 car in the yard and the rest have been crushed. For those of us who are enthusiasts this might be a good time to start looking at stocking up on some of the parts...
Automotive lighting Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Gadget

· Founding Member 2006
116,086 Posts
you have the part numbers?

· *Administrator (Premium Member)
44,646 Posts
Need to find a yard that has a 170 with door damage. Getting something for the handle is a plus for them.
I can understand not selling the complete door to a degree.

There are some US members that have donor cars.

Maybe they will see and help you out.

@StephanieSLK2003 is in Florida but visits the yards.

Might be able to point to a supplier.

· *Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need to find a yard that has a 170 with door damage. Getting something for the handle is a plus for them.
I can understand not selling the complete door to a degree.

There are some US members that have donor cars.

Maybe they will see and help you out.

@StephanieSLK2003 is in Florida but visits the yards.

Might be able to point to a supplier.
Every yard I called would either sell me an entire door card (the complete interior door panel) or nothing. Most of these were thrown out they tell me because the parts securing the door card to the door itself are all plastic and glued to the door card, as they age the glue fails and the door cards fall apart, so in a wrecking yard with open cars they don't last long. They were also not able to sell me a center console or other interior parts.

· *Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe, if you visit a site they might let you take a wrecked one for free, pennies.
I called every yard on the West Coast, the only yards with door cards want to sell only the whole door card, and that was only two out of 23 yards.
Calling all over the west coast, it seems that parts for all the R170 cars are becoming really hard to find. I am in the auto repair business and called nearly every wrecking yard I use and they all told me that they have none or only one R170 car in the yard and the rest have been crushed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts