Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . and I see where many units want to have a connection for a "speed" signal from the car; to help improve the more immediate positioning. Is there anywhere to pick a signal like this up in a 01-320? I would think that one possibility would be to slave off a wire going to the instrument cluster. (One must be speed related signal, but is it of a compatible kind?)

I'd also like to know how one might hook up the antenna. I would actually like to replace the "trunk lid wart" with one if possible, though that might take an "outdoor" antenna. (I might need to leave the old one attached to the MB "system" just to keep it happy . . . )

I'd appreciate any insights on these issues . . .

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me change the question a little then; does anyone have the listing of pin outs from the instrument cluster?

I've seen several that indicated that there is a "speed sensor" input, but I can't identify that the diagram is for an appropriate SLK. That should resolve the question.

Thanks,

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,026 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,473 Posts
If you are also fitting a canbus adaptor to maintain steering wheel controls then look for one which outputs speed pulse signal. I have a Connects2 uni-can in my car which does just that!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are also fitting a canbus adaptor to maintain steering wheel controls then look for one which outputs speed pulse signal. I have a Connects2 uni-can in my car which does just that!

Could you provide us with a little more information on that unit? (What does it do, where does it go, and could you tell us where and for how much you bought it?)

Putting together some of the info from the other posts/schematics, it looks like Pin 8 of the A1 Connector is a possibility . . . . Identifying the specific pin location has me a little spooked at the moment.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,473 Posts
Could you provide us with a little more information on that unit? (What does it do, where does it go, and could you tell us where and for how much you bought it?)

Putting together some of the info from the other posts/schematics, it looks like Pin 8 of the A1 Connector is a possibility . . . . Identifying the specific pin location has me a little spooked at the moment.
Sure this is what I bought. Connects2 UNI-CANBUS Universal Steering Wheel Stalk Control Interface Adaptor | eBay

This is connected to the Canbus Hi and Low wires and reads signals travelling over Canbus to filter out signals and provide output wires for speed pulse, reverse gear signal, illumination, steering wheel control inputs etc which you connect to your new stereo's relevant wires.

I don't know much about your model but I am assuming it sends these kind of signals over Canbus the same as R171 and R172 cars? If so this unit or a similar one will give you what you need. This item is a universal canbus interface and works on many different cars. For this type you just need to identify and connect to your Canbus hi and low wires.

There may be a model specific quadlock to ISO (harness adaptor lead) that you get with an integral canbus adaptor included. If available this will be configured to just plug in connecting to your Canbus Hi and Low. Have a look on the Connects2 website. Hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm hoping I can determine if "Pin 8" is my solution . . . The bulletin didn't really help me so, and the other schematics I've found are a little cryptic. Perhaps I just need to splice into both line 8's out of my dash, and see if either gives me a speed related pulse . . . There is supposed to be a Canbus hi & low line, but I don't have any wheel mounted controls so it probably isn't worth a lot of my time if the Pin 8 works. (Any wiring guys that can confirm this? Or at least tell me where that pin is on which of the 2 connectors?)

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.