Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 r-170 slk 320 left side on the wood insert the one you push op and open the ash-tray and turn it over is a place to put coins? Mine does don open and ideas what I can do to make it work? It's not a big problem just wondering how that maybe be a quick fix or some thing ease or do I have to have it replace by MB?

Thanks

jnc1948

·
* Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,611 Posts
Don't know about a quick fix, but mine was doing the same thing. Then one day I just pushed it with one finger...and it slid open.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess what my ashtray push it a few time and it works only thing bad a little piece of the wood came off of it...but now it works...

jnc1948 Charlotte NC

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi jnc1948,

Just thought I'd mention - and to follow on from your other thread - you can replace all of your dash trim if you want to. If you think it's looking a bit tired or it's damaged, you can get replacements.

I got my replacements from various online breakers and ebay. Lots out there.

I changed all mine on our 1999 R170 just because I wanted a change from the carbon look to the brushed aluminium. Easy enough job, just lots of screws!

Thought I'd throw that in, in case you didn't know.

Hope you're enjoying your car!

Jo

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update maybe down the road I will think about it... All screwed down not tape or glue down?

jnc1948

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine are original fascias from another SLK so took the old ones out and straight replaced with the "new" ones. Just a bunch of screws and clips. Very easy. Start by removing your stereo and stereo casing to get to the first screws. No sticking or glue in sight!

Some people have gone for the stick-on ones. Not for me. Ordered a set from cock-pit design in Germany and they did not fit and they were cheap, thin stick-ons. I never did get my money back when I returned them. I would not recommend them.

Just so you can see what I mean, I've attached before and after pics for you. The gray/blue carbon look is the old and the brushed aluminium is the "new".

Not cheap, around 200 for the lot including door trims, but it transformed the car's interior for me.

Does that help you with your decision? ?

Jo

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That a good idea for down the road....

Thanks for the info and look.

jnc1948 Charlotte NC USA

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have to buy the whole kit or is there somebody that may sell just a few pieces and a certain part only?

jnc1948

·
Registered
320 Posts
You don't have to buy the whole set. I bought them separately.

You might find 1 bit from here and 1 bit from there.

Your part numbers will be on the back of them.

What are you looking for specifically? The coin holder in wood, right? You can get just that one.

If I recall, it was hard to find just the flip down door for the coin holder, but I did get it. And there was a slightly different fitting for the little flip down door on my original pre facelift carbon trim (a little pin) than on my new post facelift aluminium trim (just clipped in).

Breakers' yards would be your best bet. I got all mine from breakers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes ash tray/coin holder in wood...if you see or find one some where let me know..

thanks jnc 1948

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.