Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has her eye on a 2003 SLK320, 86K miles, original owner. I am very familiar with others (fear the W140) but know nothing about the W170s.

I'd like to ask if there are problem areas I should look at. I understand the top hydraulics can be problematic. Other than obvious leaks what should I inspect?

I suspect it is coming due for plugs and wires as my ML55 did around this age and mileage. Anything else?

It looks like it's due for a new set of tires, exterior (silver) looks good with exception of one small door ding. Interior appeared decent from what I could tell looking through the window. Asking price was around $11K which may be a bit high unless I see lots of recent maintenance records.

What do you guys think?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
remember, slk 03 320 is r170, and not w170

try a 'search', top right for your queries until someone jumps in

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Maintenance records would be nice. What kind of oil/filter, how often, brake fluid serviced, transmission serviced, air and fuel filters, etc. Price seems a little high too. Plugs wires last a long time and should not need to be changed. Plugs are an every five year/100,000 mile item, so they should have been done once.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In my opinion it needs to be perfect for that price. I bought an '02 two years ago for the same price. It was cherry at the purchase but have had a few glitches since.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still reading, learning...

I find it odd that MB fitted the recirculating ball steering box in the R170. Those things are NOT my favorite part of the earlier models. Mostly rambling to get my post count up.

Might just hold out for a SLK32. Although, I like the torque of the V8 55.

Patiently looking.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the '03 320 seller could not produce maintenance records plus, it just had a few too many flaws for the selling price.

Unless the right 320 comes along I believe I'll hold out for a 32.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
get a 55!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.