Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's only been a few days since getting her but I've quickly come to realise that I can't hop into the car wearing my daggy clothes any more. That to do her justice I must ensure my appearance is up to scratch.

Especially when people stare as you get in or out of the top down convertible. I can tell they're judging me with they're judging eyes!

Just wondering whether others have had the same experience. I also wonder whether its gender specific or whether the blokes feel just as much pressure.

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Down here in Florida nobody cares.
Same in LA, and Taipei. Frequently see people stepping out of their Bentleys or Rolls, with flip flops and a tank top. No one evens looks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised. Australia is not a "classless" society. People care. People judge.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Same in LA, and Taipei. Frequently see people stepping out of their Bentleys or Rolls, with flip flops and a tank top. No one evens looks.
+1, at least here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm not saying that people never "deck out", but it is probably MORE common to see someone get out wearing basic jeans and/or shorts in tennis shoes and a t-shirt than it is to see someone get out of the car looking like they just came out of "GQ Magazine". Heck, out here it seems that ties and sport coats are beginning to vanish, especially within the high-tech companies where main offices are now called "campuses" and include gourmet cafeterias, children's (and pet) daycare along with full gyms and workout facilities. It's all about making the work place as comfortable as you can like a home away from home so you can be more creative and productive.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Its true.. here in Chicago they most certainly stare. But you own the keys.. you really shouldn't care ;) I admit im a littel vein when I go out, but look what you're driving. It's a step up.

That's all..shorts and flip flops or not.. drive it like you stole it :D

And people here in Chicago don't even wave to me. I try to smile and acknowledge the other mb's and unless it's a convertible they all scowl at me and look like im crazy.

I gave up waving..now just do my own thing and enjoy the ride :) :rockon:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love getting out of my SLK in a t-shirt and gym shorts and sandals.... espically at a pub for happy hour when everyone else is wearing business casual. Cincinnati people really judge you by what you drive and where you went to High School(?)

Im young so it makes it even better.... if your gonna judge me, i'll atleast make you think im a rich until you see me working on the car in my driveway on the weekends....

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I dont bother waving or flashing. Nobody flashes me back ;)
"Flashing" in the US means something else other than turning on the vehicle's headlamps for a few seconds:biglaugh:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't look like somebody who drives an SLK. I'm heavily tattooed, pierced and have dreadlocks.

I love the stares! It amuses me hugely. :biglaugh:

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Nobody cares how you dress here. I go to cars and coffee here and everyone shows up in exotics with flip flops, jeans, and t-shirts. I am a casual dresser myself. Around here if you are in a tie and suit, they think you are trying to sell us something.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Can't afford clothes at all so I get a lot of stares.
:bannana:
I was driving with my three young children one warm summer evening when a woman in the convertible ahead of us stood up and waved.
She was stark naked! As I was reeling from the shock, I heard my 5-year-old shout from the back-seat, "Dad! That lady isn't wearing her seat belt!"

Was that you?:biglaugh:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,362 Posts
Tolak,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Banned
6 Posts
I was driving with my three young children one warm summer evening when a woman in the convertible ahead of us stood up and waved.
She was stark naked! As I was reeling from the shock, I heard my 5-year-old shout from the back-seat, "Dad! That lady isn't wearing her seat belt!"

Was that you?:biglaugh:
LOL! Y)

Going back to the topic, I also wouldn't care how I look. As long as I'm comfortable with what I'm wearing, then I'm good to go. :tu:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.