Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. I have used this forum as a guest on and off for quite a few years and found much useful information.

I have a 1998 SLK 230, which I understand from the previous owner is one of the first of this model shipped to the US. It has the usual problems with interior plastic crumbling and niggling electrical faults, but no accidents and it runs well and I would like to restore it if I can do so without taking out a second mortgage.

In the past I have used online forums to to resolve problems that seemed to stump the dealer, but I am now frustrated by a central locking problem that was not solved by replacing an obviously fried PSE pump with a second hand unit. The old pump fried the main power connector (and, I think caused a battery drain, intermittent alarms and other odd behavoir for many months), but I have spliced in a replacement connector. Surprisingly, I did not find any burnt fuses in the trunk box, nor anywhere else so far.

After starting car, if I turn off the ignition, then turning on again, I can hear the pump run briefly, but it does not send a vacuum to my doors or fuel cap when I press the lock switch, or use the remote. A handheld vacuum pump applied to each vacuum line does what it is supposed to.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for your advice.

Regards,

SLKCayman

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,247 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Welcome from the swamps of Southern Maryland USA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My splices are color to color, tinned and heat shrunk . My soldering skills have gone downhill, but I am confident that the most important one, the main power, is capable of handling a few tens of amps and I checked that it was not getting warm. The others are good. The replacement unit has the same code, comes from an identical aged car.

Thanks for the input. I am wondering if the almost 20 year old seals on the vacuum are doing their thing. Anyone know of a quick access point to check, away from the pump?

Because my old pump was grounding out, causing smoke and other damage, my instinct is that another circuit fuse may have popped. Any ideas?

SLK Cayman

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLK World from Southern England.
I hope you get your issue sorted soon.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My splices are color to color, tinned and heat shrunk . My soldering skills have gone downhill, but I am confident that the most important one, the main power, is capable of handling a few tens of amps and I checked that it was not getting warm. The others are good. The replacement unit has the same code, comes from an identical aged car.

Thanks for the input. I am wondering if the almost 20 year old seals on the vacuum are doing their thing. Anyone know of a quick access point to check, away from the pump?

Because my old pump was grounding out, causing smoke and other damage, my instinct is that another circuit fuse may have popped. Any ideas?

SLK Cayman

Sounds like you have skills and wired it in correctly. As far as fuses go, I believe that different years and different destination points (US vs Euro) had different fuse configurations. I heard some early years had them in the trunk. There is a small panel by the drivers door jam/dash area (left hand drive), and the larger panel under the hood.

Here is a link to a YouTube video with a guy tearing into and explaining a PSE pump. Not an SLK, but should have the same basics. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/5LoNoRY5XM8

Tim

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

I can't add to the advice you're already being given about the locking issue, but hope you manage to resolve it soon..

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,357 Posts
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,452 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmm... My best guess would be to question the second-hand unit. You obviously doing everything right and central locking mechanism installed into the doors is nothing more than vacuum operated units... Hence since you were able to use a hand pump and check that doors lock/unlock with the use of handpump then the question lies inside of unit... Maybe a loose seal, low power for creating vacuum, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,950 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,250 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts