Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
* Registered
SLK 320 [R170] - Auto - 2001
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my SLK for a little while now - it's a 2001 320 with 60k miles on the clock.

I plan to restore it to its former glory, but with a few minor modifications - there is a fairly long list of things to do, so I thought I would try to keep this up to date with what has been done.

So far I have done:
  • Full service
  • Brembo disks and pads all round, and brake fluid change
  • Michellin Pilot Sport 4 tyres all round
  • Replaced yaw rate sensor
  • Replaced gearbox mount

The speakers were replaced by the previous owner, but didn't sound great and the doors were rattling, so I have replaced a load of missing clips and laid sound deadening mats on the inner and out skin of the doors - I had quite a bit of sound deadening left over, so I did the floor, rear wall, and boot as well in an effort to reduce road noise a bit. I will likely install an amp and some rear speakers in the fullness of time.

·
* Registered
SLK 320 [R170] - Auto - 2001
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The current job is to replace rear shock absorbers, coils with the Billstein B12 kit, and all of multi link suspension arms. While all of this stuff is removed and out of the way I am going to sort out some surface corrosion on the subframe.

All arms removed, subframe wire brushed down.

Rust converter on

Painted with Rust Buster EM121

All the replacement parts are coming tomorrow along with a replacement strengthening strut that has rusted through. Looks like I might also need to replace the torsion bar, as its looking pretty rusty, not sure at the moment how to get it out to check how bad the rust is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts