Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us are off to Bordeaux next month to drink far too much wine.

I have looked on the AA route planner and it's suggesting a route that goes through the heart of Paris.

Has anyone else experience of driving through France? I've only ever driven from Calais going east before. I'll be driving over night, so the traffic should be light.

Any advice welcome.

PA

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you avoid rush hours, driving through Paris is OK, much like any other big city, and the drivers aren't quite as mad as in Italian cities. Don't forget, they all drive on the wrong side of the road!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll be leaving Blackheath around 1800hrs, so should be at Paris sometime around midnight I'd have thought. There's a convoy of us, and one of us has driven there before. So I assume I'll just be following tail-lights all the way down.

Though he does drive a Golf....so it's only a matter of time before I get bored waiting for him to find the accelerator.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a possibility we may end up that way. Who knows? I'll need to discuss the route with the other drivers. Though it will be night-time driving so no need for pretty routes. Just quick ones :)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I'm not sure that's good advice... We went from Paris to Toulouse/Carcassonne and got hit by foto radar... Speed limit, 110km/h, grace limit 115km/h, we were doing 122km/h (that's 7mph over the actual limit... here in Canada cops won't blink for anything under +20km/h or 10mph..)

Cost 45euro... I'll take my tourist money elsewhere... (and France can get itself out of the next war all by themselves...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
So if you had a 458 and had a few million, you wouldn't mind taking 1000 euro to Europe with and spending 2 weeks driving at 150 in France in some of the nicest roads?

I have friends with BMWs and TVRs who are happy to do that with just 500 Euro

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,123 Posts
The roads around us are narrow, twisty and have some terrific hill-climbs... however.. speeding is not a good idea as the tractors and other lumbering machinery take no prisoners when it comes to meeting head-on :wink::wink:

Frankly, if you insist on speeding.. OK you will get to your destination a lot quicker, but what a shame .. you will miss out on some of the most beautiful scenery, the interesting villages and glorious old chateaux etc... not forgetting the little cafés and bars, where you can stop and enjoy a coffee-cognac in the sunshine...

Life is not always about speed.... sometimes slow and steady wins the race !

:smile::smile::smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts