Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an SLK over the Internet at auction. Long story short, the selling dealer doesn't know if there's a keyed socket for the lug-nuts (& the car is at the auction house at this point).
Question: On a 2001 SLK230 with the Sport Package, including the 5-spoke AMG wheels.... did that come from the factory with locking lug-nuts?
If Yes (& I suspect it did): If the keyed socket is no longer with the car, how can the wheels be removed?
I'm going to call a MB Dealer to ask the same questions, but this site is likely a better source of correct information (I hate getting guesses from "service advisors").
Thanks much!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought 2004 slk with locking wheel nuts and no socket to undo them, went to main dealership mb, they had two cases with 60 different sockets in each, second box had one to fit, they let me buy it for £35.00 , and they order one to replace the one I bought, instead of me driving around without one, So maybe mb may have one

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
You can get replacement keys. Here is one source:
https://www.brandsport.com/wheel-lock-lug-nut-keys.html

Failing that, with no key what is usually done is a very slightly smaller socket is just hammered onto the lock nut itself. It'll eventually slip on and the offending lock can then be twisted off in the usual manner.

Sometimes the socket can be saved (punch through with a punch and hammer), sometimes not. The issue is that sometimes that sacrificial socket will scratch/mar the rim itself.

I say usually because usually you just can't wait to get a new key.

Kinda hard to be gentle when you're whacking on it with a 5 lb sledge :surprise:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two different MB Dealers just told me that they have master key sets to get wheels off. Then I can order a new keyed socket for myself. Sounds good!
BTW - I know ppl usually keep that socket in the glove box or center console, but is there a "usual place" where the socket is *originally* stored on the car from the factory?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, while I'm here, ....the 2001 SLK came from MB with Continental tires, but my 1999 had Michelin Pilot Sports.
Any quick opinions on which tire manufacturer would be best?
City & freeway driving only. No track driving. 2.3L... not a beast.
Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two different MB Dealers just told me that they have master key sets to get wheels off. Then I can order a new keyed socket for myself. Sounds good!
BTW - I know ppl usually keep that socket in the glove box or center console, but is there a "usual place" where the socket is *originally* stored on the car from the factory?
The key is stored in the boot under the floor cover and next to the spare wheel.

·
12,451 Posts
Mine (the key and the four regular bolts that the locks replaced) are kept in a black plastic box that I keep in the spare tire well that has the goop and air compressor

·
12,451 Posts
Hey, while I'm here, ....the 2001 SLK came from MB with Continental tires, but my 1999 had Michelin Pilot Sports.
Any quick opinions on which tire manufacturer would be best?
City & freeway driving only. No track driving. 2.3L... not a beast.
Thanks!
Lots and lots and lots of posts. Search is your friend.

Here is one (you can find the rest :wink: ) https://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/526661-baby-needs-new-shoes-pilot-super-sport-vs-pilot-sport-ps2.html

BTW I updated the title of your thread to reflect the tire question BUT it is generally preferable (and more beneficial to you so you get the answers you need) that you start a new thread when you post a new question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires are like girlfriends/wife’s, everybody has their own personal preferences and requirements.
I'd like to just go with OEM, which would be the Continentals in 2001. But I liked my Michelin Pilots (OEM) on my 1999. I was just kind of wondering if the switch to Continental tires was considered a "down-grade" or an "up-grade". Did MB switch for an important reason? Did MB enthusiasts generally feel :frown: or :grin: when MB switched from Michelins to Continentals? OR... no big deal? Generally, *either* is fine unless you're really fussy with your tires?

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,440 Posts
It depends what characteristics you want to vehicle to have. There is traction, wear, cornering, ride, cost and various environmental concerns (Snow,ice, temperature ie; summer-dry).

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
I switched from Continental to Michelin Pilot Supersport. There is a huge difference between the two! PSS is better in every way except small premium in price.

·
12,451 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know.... Did Mercedes originally put "all season" tires on the SLK? (or did they sell 'em with "summer tires" installed?)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,930 Posts
worldwide sales...depends on region

plus wheels/rims are staggered...different sizes front and rear

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for that omission.

USA cars. Southern States. (Texas)

Did they ship with "summer" tires to the southern USA?

Or, simply "all season" tires to all of USA?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts