Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone answer this one. I've been working through the User Manual prior to picking up my new (to me) SLC. One detail isn't clear, can anyone help.

Can the car be locked with the roof down? Or will the sensors simply set the alarm off due to moving air?

I can see where this might arise, e.g. at a Petrol Station (OK, Gas station for everyone across the pond!) while paying for fuel. Or in my garage.

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
Vehicle: Looking...

update this please :D

locked while moving or parked with top down?

stationary and top down? of course

doors are locked
glove box is locked
console box is locked

was that your question?

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,152 Posts
I would assume the R172 SLC is the same as my '14 SLK. I always park in garage with roof down and lock the car [I can't get out with the roof up when in the garage] I then pull a dust cover over the open car and remove it when I need to. Alarm has not activated in that scenario.
Have also left the car outside for limited periods, roof down and locked, with no alarm being triggered.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
I have left convertibles locked with roof down. It does help to have a lockable glove box and for those I have an E-Pass (Sun-Pass outside O'town) sticker instead of the suction cup module and put anything removable (hat, brolly) in the trunk (boot). I also learned to cover the automagic shifter.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Except when paying for fuel or crossing a pavement/sidewalk to buy something I avoid leaving the car at any time with roof down. Car always locked even if there is a passenger.
An unattended convertible parked roof down attracts attention & to the cynical & envious is a bit too showy & flash. Possibly less so in warm climates were it would not be the norm but elsewhere & especially in the UK there is an enhanced risk of some yob tossing a cigarette end or rubbish into the cabin or dragging a key down the side, bird poo & plenty of it if at the seaside, tree sap ( not that I ever park under trees ) or an attempted theft which could result in damage.
Best depress the button, close the roof & be low key & invisible.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
I always park in garage with roof down and lock the car [I can't get out with the roof up when in the garage] I then pull a dust cover over the open car and remove it when I need to.
Is there enough headspace and 30cm at the rear with the car in the garage to use a Smarttop and plip the keyfob 3 times to put the roof up remotely from outside the garage? You wouldn’t need a dust cover then
Some of the rubber roof seals look to be bent jack-knifed with the roof down and I wouldn’t prefer to leave them in this position for extended periods myself.

Back to the original topic, with the roof down it is safer to lock with the windows up and I tested reaching inside my 06 SLK350 and the alarm goes off if anyone reaches inside, so it would be tough to grab anything from inside the car without setting off the alarm, although I wouldn’t leave anything on the seat and invite an opportunistic theft.

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
166 Posts
Best depress the button, close the roof & be low key & invisible.
Low key?
Not too flashy?
Invisible?
Depress the button?

Walking away from my car after jumping out and then simultaneously locking it and putting the roof up using the Smarttop is anything but...... it’s a bit of a flashy party piece.
I don’t even turn around to check if the roof is up as I can hear the initial clicks as the roof starts to go up.

The same with putting the roof down from 100 yards away then just getting in and driving away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.