Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK55 Kleemann K2
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion about locking bolts for wheels? What would you suggest? Anyone uses a set? Yes I know that they just slow down thieves a bit and doesn't give a full secure.

I'm heading deep in eastern Europe with in few weeks as my second road trip.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,186 Posts
My 55 came fitted with a single locking nut on each wheel.

Are you thinking of using all locking nuts?

·
Registered 2004 SLK55 Kleemann K2
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Usually the set includes only one lock bolt/nut for one wheel. I didn't even think about using all 20 bolts as locking ones. =)

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,480 Posts
Took mine off and only use regular bolts. Its somewhat easy to break the key and then you have to try to find a replacement (not easy when you're on the side of the road) or get towed and they have to use the smaller socket method to hammer them off. Too easy to damage the rim.

My advice: don't use them.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,186 Posts
Took mine off and only use regular bolts. Its somewhat easy to break the key and then you have to try to find a replacement (not easy when you're on the side of the road) or get towed and they have to use the smaller socket method to hammer them off. Too easy to damage the rim.

My advice: don't use them.

Or

His 'n hers SLK/Cs.
That way, you always have a spare.

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,268 Posts
What is your opinion about locking bolts for wheels? What would you suggest? Anyone uses a set? Yes I know that they just slow down thieves a bit and doesn't give a full secure.

I'm heading deep in eastern Europe with in few weeks as my second road trip.

I use (or rather used, not anymore for several reasons but nothing to do with the quality of the lockbolts) a set of these Bolt Style ? McGard .
Worked perfect, I think they are MB OEM supplier.
Be sure to order radius seat if you have OEM rims and NOT cone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts