1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
You give out any cards?

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,215 Posts
I was there in Feb and agreed, there are a fair few SLKs around the island. Did you take your own across? Also, did you see the silver R170 monstrosity I found in St Helier? It had local plates.

Enjoy the break!

Savcom

·
Banned
974 Posts
Given the island speed limit which I think is a maximum of 40mph & the narrow roads the SLK makes sense.
Being a moneyed island there are many huge big powerful very expensive cars which just look stupid & out of scale but they are of course mainly purchased as 'statement' pieces.
Guernsey is SO much more select & quiet except for the rather vulgar banking element that has developed an area just outside St Peter Port.
My father was part of the Liberation force at the end of WW11 & he would burst into tears when he recalled encountering the terrible dishevelled starving state of the citizens.
WW11 VERY much a sensitive subject to Channel Islanders as many did rather well out of the German occupying force when others were either packed off to concentration camps or just got bullied & starved.
There is still much unknown about what went on & that many are taking to their grave. Sorry bit off-topic but Dad's stories & my many visits to the C.I. recalled by this posting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was there in Feb and agreed, there are a fair few SLKs around the island. Did you take your own across? Also, did you see the silver R170 monstrosity I found in St Helier? It had local plates.

Enjoy the break!

Savcom
Can't recall anything out of the ordinary and I was staying in the middle of St. Helier too. I did see more silver than any other colour, but I would have remembered that 'thing' if I'd seen it I'm sure! Didn't take mine over though, not this time.

Planned to, and did, a lot of walking being as the island is only 9 miles across. Me and my better half walked our socks off!

I did get to speak to a local car salesman as he was operating next door to the hotel. He had a beautiful SL500 on the road opposite the forecourt and an E class and C class on the forecourt. The man loved his Mercs...

Got back this afternoon to rain, rain, rain at home. Ho hum.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the island speed limit which I think is a maximum of 40mph & the narrow roads the SLK makes sense.
Being a moneyed island there are many huge big powerful very expensive cars which just look stupid & out of scale but they are of course mainly purchased as 'statement' pieces.
Guernsey is SO much more select & quiet except for the rather vulgar banking element that has developed an area just outside St Peter Port.
My father was part of the Liberation force at the end of WW11 & he would burst into tears when he recalled encountering the terrible dishevelled starving state of the citizens.
WW11 VERY much a sensitive subject to Channel Islanders as many did rather well out of the German occupying force when others were either packed off to concentration camps or just got bullied & starved.
There is still much unknown about what went on & that many are taking to their grave. Sorry bit off-topic but Dad's stories & my many visits to the C.I. recalled by this posting.
I totally agree - the islanders are very sensitive about the occupation and I feel for them. They were not liberated for a very long time. It must have been awful.

Your father must have seen some things that would bring a tear to the eye of most of us. He must have been seen very much as a hero to the islanders - and indeed to the rest of us I'm sure.

Again slightly (very) off-topic - the reason for my trip with my wife was because we had our honeymoon there 46 years ago and went back for nostalgia through the same period, 20th June. Ahhhhhh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.