Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what is going on here. Today, my wife took out a 350Z in a 60 to 90, and I took out a Mustang 5.0 GT in a 40 to 70. And all we've got is an SLK 280. Darn, that thing is faster than it should be! I think it is the 7 speed auto trans, and the "shift at red line" function that allows the little 3.0 liter engine to run in its optimum range as often as possible.

Then it hit me that no car mag has ever done a performance test on the R 171 SLK 280/300. Wonder what they would find out if they did?

·
Registered
192 Posts
one bad thing about 280 is the performance mods... normally mercedes tuner, brabus, carlsson...etc only got engine mods for 200 and 350... y dun they do it.... WHY!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
oh, the green filter...
now my SLK is 30300KM already...
time to change the dirty & old paper filter to the new Green Filter:rb

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have green filters, but that is just about it. I don't really feel the need for more speed or power.

Mohammed, you have mentioned that mu car might be a factory freak before. This time, I think I'll call around and find somebody to dyno it. I'm curious about this.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
IIRC, there was another person that had the same experience. Even the MB technicians thought his 280 performed more like a 350. (I cannot recall his username).

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
hmm... I wonder if there really IS a 280 engine. Maybe they just put the 350 in it and label it different to appeal to more people? Do we KNOW there is a 280?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Well, here in the land of taxes based on displacement, there sure is a 3 liter 6 from MB as well as a 3.5l.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The acceleration values for the 280 do seem a little awry, officially quoted as 0-62 mph in 6.2 seconds, I find that in Reviews the figures can vary from 5.9 to 6.5 seconds. In my opinion, even with my manual box, the 0-62 figure is lower than 6.2 and closer to the lowest figure quoted in reviews or better; does this match other owners' experiences?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got raped by a SLK 280 a fer years ago.
The car was in front of me at a light, When it turned green it turned left towards the expressway.
I tried to stay in back of the car, It started to strecth away fast vanishing into the night.
Catchting up to the car in traffic, I found it was two woman in her 30's.
In a short time the traffic let up, The woman again weaved thru other cars as we followed.
A few times when she was getting on the throttle, She made us feel like we were parked even though we were going over triple digits.
She finally waved good bye and she just streched away from us.
The car I was driving was just around 230 Hp @ the wheels.
But in the end, Me and my buddy got our feelings hurt.
It was a quiet ride home after that.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I actually know with some certainty is that my SLK 280 7 sp. auto. gets 0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds. My timing equipment isn't good enough to be more specific, but I suspect it is well under 6 seconds. I am not generally a fan of auto. transmissions in sports cars, but this one seems so well mated to the engine's power curve. 1st gear seems very "low" and jerks you up to red line very quickly. 2nd comes in and pulls like a tractor. That reminds me of the original Datsun 240Z. 3rd is no slouch, either. the 4-5-6-7 shifts are so smooth that, at this point, it reminds me of a CVT.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Interesting discussion. I need to measure my 0-60 time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well my '07 VW GTI w/DSG was rated at 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. Being front wheel drive it of course would just sit and spin most of the time with it's 225 wide tires. I drove that car 41k miles like I stole it. That being said I have a point of reference. My SLK 280 with it's rear wheel drive and 245 wide tires would clearly beat the GTI off the line and in the straights. I think the GTI however would eat it alive in traffic where crazy fast shifts are needed.

I normally leave traffic a 1/4 mile behind in 45 zones while only hitting 52 mph. I think that speaks well of the 280's ability to go from 0-60. It's not a slow car at all. I also think it surprises many when they realize it got that far that fast. :tu:

Rabbit

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sometimes it's just how a car "feels."

Sometimes a car you've never been in feels different.

When I first got the SLK, it didn't feel faster than my C300.

However, once my 1,000 miles were broke in, it was no comparison at all.

I recently had a G37 Sedan rental, and it sadly felt faster than my SLK350. :( However, much less comfortable and rougher. Not the greatest materials inside either, but the engine I must say moved the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sometimes it's just how a car "feels."

Sometimes a car you've never been in feels different.

When I first got the SLK, it didn't feel faster than my C300.

However, once my 1,000 miles were broke in, it was no comparison at all.

I recently had a G37 Sedan rental, and it sadly felt faster than my SLK350. :( However, much less comfortable and rougher. Not the greatest materials inside either, but the engine I must say moved the car.
Without a doubt their will always be that other car on the road that is just flat out faster then whatever it is your driving. Their are even cars that will smoke an SLR. It boils down to the complete package. A 1200 HP twin turbo dodge viper will smoke an SLK 55 AMG without a doubt, but put the two on a track and the story might change a bit. It's what I loved about the VW GTI, it wasn't all that much power but as a complete package it just rocked. It's a car that loves to be tossed around.

I had a Toyota Camry LE 3.5L (268HP) with some little teenager driving acting the fool on my way home. This girl was hell bent on driving way too fast. My mission at that point, get in her way :) The 40 hp more with about the same curb weight didn't help her in the slightest. The 280 just walked right away. Sometimes it's just everything else that matters.

Rabbit

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't understand with drag racing on a forum devoted to a sports car.

I bought a SLK only because my wife wanted a "red" Mercedes Benz convertible. I have been pleasantly surprised with it's braking and handling capabilities. It ain't your father's M-B! I have not been tempted to drag race with it or any other sports car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ben:

I agree that true drag racing is not what sports cars are for. But with a sports car, acceleration times in various speed ranges are important in determining how fast a sports car can recover its speed after cornering. The main difference with sports cars it is as important (perhaps more so) how fast it can take that corner. So that's (IMO) why good acceleration is one of the factors important in a good sports car.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes. Acceleration is important though not as important as is braking and the ability to carry speed through a corner (handling), IMO. If acceleration were my benchmark, I would not choose a low to mid price sports car. I was responding to posts comparing acceleration to that of Mustangs, etc.

ben:

I agree that true drag racing is not what sports cars are for. But with a sports car, acceleration times in various speed ranges are important in determining how fast a sports car can recover its speed after cornering. The main difference with sports cars it is as important (perhaps more so) how fast it can take that corner. So that's (IMO) why good acceleration is one of the factors important in a good sports car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ben:

Oh, I see now. Comparisons between SLKs and Mustangs are useless because they are two totally different kinds of beasts. For example. Live (solid rear axles as opposed to independent rear suspension) has been retained on the Mustang because they are better for drag racing. Not nearly as good for sports car purposes, however.

I made the OP on this thread, where I commented about how well my SLK 280 did against MY Honda S 2000 in 0 to 60 runs, despite the fact that the car mags rate the S 2000 as significantly quicker. And, as we all know, both of these are true sports cars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts