Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

looking for some help here with my 03 slk230. I've had my abs bas and esp lights on for a while now trying to trace down the problem. It ran fine, just lights on the dash. Today I tried disconnecting/reconnected the abs pump antilock module harness (the one by the master cylinder) to see if that would do anything. Now the car is in limp mode and I have the following codes:

P0500 speed sensor "A"
P0600 serial communication link
Po720 output seed sensor circuit

as well as the brake lining light on
as well as the red parking brake light on (without parking brake pulled)

I clear the codes and they come right back.

Can anyone give any input on this? I really don't want to tow it down to Mercedes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
Try taking the battery of for an hour and then putting it ack on ! You'll need to move the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left ( or vice versa) afterwards to reset the BAS lights if this works ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Curro. I tried disconnecting the positive terminal overnight with out any luck.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tired the battery reset after pulling the harness.

The code that worries me is the "P0600 serial communication link malfunction"
Does anyone know what this is?

Which speed sensor is speed sensor "A"?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
Thanks Curro. I tried disconnecting the positive terminal overnight with out any luck.

Any other ideas?
Never disconnect positive terminal first !!

negative first then positve . :tu:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I think I may be getting somewhere on this. I verified the abs/esp pump runs when I hard jump it with 12v.... the pump is good. I checked the resistance thru the esp module (the black one bolted on to the pump) power supply going to the pump and the resistance was high (possibly a blown circuit?) The pump does not run when the car is running.

Can someone do me a huge favor and check to see if their pump runs when the car runs in idle? If so, it looks as though I need a new esp module.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it!! I pulled the esp controller off the pump, broke open the case to expose the circuit board (literally broke the cover in half because it was stuck) I noticed one of the transistors solder looked very bad. I re-soldered and bam... no more lights, all gone, car shifts great.

This must have been what was keeping my abs bas and esp lights on for a long time and finally the connection got bad enough to cause the car to go in limp mode.

I hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A bit of an old thread but you may have helped me, I've gone from a car with spongy pedal to one stuck in a low gear no speedo ABS lights etc on and even worse brakes,

I bought a new m/cyl which hasn't helped, so thought I'd remove ABS pump and wouldn't you know the bearing came out with it so pulled of ABS unit to reinsert, Gave pump a clean and bench test and reinstalled everything and bled brakes. I had the battery neg terminal off the whole time.

Reconnected battery and ran car to find brakes easily as bad and ABS light plus a couple more.. Took for a drive down the street, brakes are effective but feel awful.

I did nothing else to cause loss of speedo and gear changing, Aaaaaaargh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.