Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,497 Posts
One of our SLK members in N. Calif. just did a lighted star in the front grill. I can ask her how it was done or how much it costs if you want.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
I first illuminated a central badge in the 1980's It was an Audi 200. I've continued to do this and my Audi A2 is illuminated by green LED's. (Incidentally, the rear Ausi rings on the boot/trunk are also illuminated with red LED's) Illumination of the SLK badge has been available via Ebay for quite some time .... I haven't looked recently but it has DEFINITELY been available as an "add-on" extra ..... My memory isn't playing tricks with me, I'm sure about that! Oh, here's one example :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-illumination-emblem-front-grille-Star-Badge-for-2011-2016-Mercedes-Benz/352616326451?hash=item5219922533:g:6zwAAOSwC5RcZll9

David

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
O.K. Are you asking how I would do this? Well I'd first purchase 3, 12v festoon LED bulbs from RS (Radio Spares in the U.K.) These : https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-led-lamps/1683879/ You can remove the small board with the LED's on it, from inside the glass tub, because that's all you'll need. Remove the chrome ring from the grill. Buy some coloured "Lexan" sheet. This is thin, flexible perspex type sheet which is typically used in, say, motor-cycle helmet visors. Use the badge as a template to cut a neat circle to protect the LED's. Now in each of the three recessed segments of the Mercedes front badge, secure one of those LED boards with a strong adhesive. Wire them in parallel and link into the side-light circuit of the headlight. Now secure the Lexan disc with silcon adhesive and finally re-mount the chrome ring. So you'll have a coloured LED of your choice in each of the three segments of the Mercedes badge and protected from weather by fitting the disc. You could have normal, white LED'S and the coloured effect is achieved by the colour of the Lexan sheet, but it's usually better to have the LED's coloured, IMHO. This is the method that I've used on my Audi's and is the way that I would illuminate my SLK, which is the same Year as yours ...

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry I wasn't being clear end of my work hours = brain exhausted. I'm interested in making the lense and getting the best light dispersal I made a ton of led strips in channels but they either come with light difusers or I use epoxy + dye. So I thought about making a mold and using epoxy for my own custom setup. I had bad luck with lexin (plexyglass) and curves.

My intent being to use addressable ws2812b LEDs in the ring with different light/patterns (law permitting colors) for driving , parked, show, start up and security. Sorry I blotched the prior link I posted but here is my headlights with the ws2812b's

Low res GIF. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkc161ylaj0da8b/ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20%281%29.gif?raw=1

720p video (recommend WiFi only) https://www.dropbox.com/s/k52sa2p9x5xfm8h/YouCut_20190314_040734927.mp4?raw=1

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
I simply bought a set of LED strips from the local parts store and attached them to the circle behind the star, ran the wires to the running light wiring on the left side (Driver side US model).

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
The is my first attempt at a lighted star on a R170. May be a little bright, next step is to tone it down a bit. Unlike the new lighted star this is an attempt to backlight the original star on the original grill. See attached pic

Nice effort, but,

If you get a visit from Ironman looking for his dongle, just remember we warned you.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
555 Posts
I simply bought a set of LED strips from the local parts store and attached them to the circle behind the star, ran the wires to the running light wiring on the left side (Driver side US model).
That sounds an easy and effective way of illuminating the badge! So are the LED's on an adhesive strip? How wide are they and did you mount them so that they follow the outer (recessed) circumference of the ring? I feel that the end result would still look better "finished" if the badge has a translucent cover over it, protecting the LED's and giving a sleek look to it. It is easily held in place with the chrome badge ring. Oh, have you any photos of your work, please?

David

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
40 Posts
Yes, at auto parts stores here in the US, they have them in multiple colors and different lengths. You could probably get them from Amazon if they dont have them there. They have 3M adhesive on the back and are about 1/4" wide. I just peeled the backing off of two 4 or 6" strips and stuck them to the inside of the circle so the lights shine into the space. I like the translucent idea, too, just have not thought about how to do that, although if you can find clear lucite or similar, should not be difficult. I dont think I have a photo of it lit, but I'll see if I can get one.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=LED+light+srtip+12v&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

·
Registered
4 Posts
picture of this

Do you have a picture of this. I got one from amazon but the base didn't fit. I modified the stock base so the light would fit but the stock Star wouldn't fit over the plastic lighted star provided.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,025 Posts
Do you have a picture of this. I got one from amazon but the base didn't fit. I modified the stock base so the light would fit but the stock Star wouldn't fit over the plastic lighted star provided.
who are you asking? :D

use the 'quote' button at the bottom of any post you are asking or replying to or referencing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts