Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not getting any power to the lamp unit, although the RHS lamp is fine so I'm guessing the fuse is good.
Any ideas?
Also just remembered not getting power to the boot lamp also, could be bad earth? If so does anyone know where the earth is before I start dismantling the whole car :grin:

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not getting any power to the lamp unit, although the RHS lamp is fine so I'm guessing the fuse is good.
Any ideas?
Also just remembered not getting power to the boot lamp also, could be bad earth? If so does anyone know where the earth is before I start dismantling the whole car :grin:

Thanks
Cancel that I've just used the search function and found out that it's disabled from the factory 0:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't really bother me, I was just checking the car over for the MOT and it puzzled me.
The boot lamp is cured too, turns out I had switched off the interior lights when repairing my door cards.
Interior light needs to be activated before the boot light will work.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If you really want it, you can have it activated.
But please don't. Can't tell you how annoying that is, especially those drivers who turn the foglights on when they are not needed.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,616 Posts
Too Late!

When you mix driving between LHD and RHD countries
and the offside fog is required by law...
You need both lit to comply.

Added bonus, should one fail you still have a fog.

However, those that use them as a rear DRL need
[edited to preserve membership] in a [edited to preserve membership]
as they are simply [edited to preserve membership].

You'd think the clue was in the name...
Fog light is for?
Bright sunny day in many cases.

·
Registered R172 2011 SLK 250
49 Posts
Activation of both rear fog lights

If you really want it, you can have it activated.
Thanks for this information. I've lived in Germany for many years where their discipline of using, and not abusing rear fog lights is much better than here in UK.

Thankfully, most cars now automatically switch them off with the ignition so that they aren't left on for days by mistake.

I'm returning to Germany for a road trip in September and want to have the other (in my case left hand side) fog light activated as well as the UK default of right side only.

Is this something I have to get done by the MB Dealer or is there another way?

And I promise never to use them unless it's foggy!:wink:

·
Registered R172 2011 SLK 250
49 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
26 Posts
I just found this thread from a search. I swapped out my stock tail lights for smoked housings with LED. Then while testing them, I noticed the rear "fog" lamp only worked on the left. "Weird" I thought, where they defective. Then I checked out the stock units I'd just removed, and there isn't even a bulb on the RH side. I wanted to be sure that this was correct before selling the originals on ebay, so I searched here. I feel validated that everything is OK, But as a Yankee, I would love clarification on what "rear fog lights" actually are, and why you'd run only one side.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,061 Posts
I just found this thread from a search. I swapped out my stock tail lights for smoked housings with LED. Then while testing them, I noticed the rear "fog" lamp only worked on the left. "Weird" I thought, where they defective. Then I checked out the stock units I'd just removed, and there isn't even a bulb on the RH side. I wanted to be sure that this was correct before selling the originals on ebay, so I searched here. I feel validated that everything is OK, But as a Yankee, I would love clarification on what "rear fog lights" actually are, and why you'd run only one side.
german car
so cars park on side of roads in germany
only 1 side gets lit on design for that reason
so drivers can see the parked car

also

Rear fog lights are designed to provide a powerful and concentrated beam of red light that can penetrate fog and heavy rain, which will make your car visible to drivers behind you. ... However, only the light on the driver's side is turned on to avoid confusion with brake lights.

and

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/mercedes-has-parking-lights-only-light-one-side-ca-269684

1 - 12 of 12 Posts