Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PRESIDENT REAGAN: Those who live today remember those who do not. Those who know freedom remember today those who gave up life for freedom.

Today, in honor of the dead, we conduct ceremonies. We lay wreaths. We speak words of tribute. And in our memories, in our hearts, we hold them close to us still. Yet we also know, even as their families knew when they last looked upon them, that they can never be fully ours again, that they belong now to God and to that for which they so selflessly made a final and eternal act of devotion.

We could not forget them. Even if they were not our own, we could not forget them. For all time, they are what we can only aspire to be: giving, unselfish, the epitome of human love -- to lay down one's life so that others might live.
We think on their lives. We think on their final moments. In our mind's eye, we see young Americans in a European forest or on an Asian island or at sea or in aerial combat.

And as life expired, we know that those who could had last thoughts of us and of their love for us. As they thought of us then, so, too, we think of them now, with love, with devotion, and with faith: the certainty that what they died for was worthy of their sacrifice -- faith, too, in God and in the Nation that has pledged itself to His work and to the dream of human freedom, and a nation, too, that today and always pledges itself to their eternal memory.

I wish to take this moment to thank all veterans, past and present and future, for their dedication and love, their separation from family, and their love of country. For those that gave their lives, we can never repay you. For those maimed and injured, we pray for your comfort and safety. For those loved ones left behind alone, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

The following is from another speech:

"Let me close with a memory from another war monument. This one is a British memorial in Burma, from World War II. It says so eloquently what I think we should all feel today. It says, "When you go home, tell them of us and say for your tomorrow we gave our today."

So today as each of you go home, tell them of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and coast guard who are giving their today around the world for a better future for all. And for a moment pause and remember those who had made possible your tomorrows. And from the memory of these honored dead, let us recommit ourselves to never forget the sacrifices of these fallen and of their families, and let us commit ourselves to renew our commitment to the values and ideals that have made this nation what it is today, the greatest nation in the world.

Thank you. God bless you.

·
98,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
729 Posts
I find this subject quite emotional. While no conflict is can be considered worse than another, my thoughts always focus on the kids of 17 (or younger...or older) that go "over the top" in the First World War, having known how many didn't return from previous escapades. This, to me, is bravery.

It has been replicated in so many conflicts since. Many, I'm sure, we haven't even heard about, and I don't wish to diminish them.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,561 Posts
Thiepval France

72,000 names of the people with no known grave. 1st World War.
The names are on the white faces of each pillar.
We called in earlier this year after a tour of those other killing grounds at Normandy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,762 Posts
Of the many parades, this one touched a special note with us.
Cheshire is an equestrian area.

Utkinton and Cotebrook to honour WW1 horsemen ? So Cheshire

Five horsemen, dressed in WW1 uniform, will attend Utkinton and Cotebrook’s Remembrance Sunday event this weekend.
World War 1 soldiers on horseback will take part in Utkinton and Cotebrook’s Remembrance Day commemorations at the village’s war memorial, situated in the hills above Tarporley.
Several accomplished local horsemen were amongst the nine soldiers lost by the two neighbouring Cheshire villages during The Great War.
Amongst them was gunner John Warburton, from Quarry Bank Farm in Utkinton, who was killed in a gas attack in France in 1917, aged just 20.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My sentiment is to remember and learn to hate what is after all politics by other means.

Back in 1980 my brother and I rattled from Ypres to Verdun on a Cossack 650. A sobering journey which made me remember and acknowledge all the dead of all wars (I am a white poppy person).

I am so grateful that I have not had to dodge bullets like so many.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Not forgotten here.... I am taking my Friend and a survivor of 3 Tours in Afghanistan to the Biergarten tonight for some S and S ( Steins and Schnitzel) so he can help me roll my Betty into the car after her 3 Stein,s :smile::wink::laugh::laugh:

·
28,762 Posts
For those wondering...

The Red Poppy is the traditional flower of remembrance for Europe and North America because of its ties to World War I and II. Some people simply think it is a cheery sign of summer because of its size and intense colours.
Associated with the Royal British Legion in the UK.

The White Poppy means Peace as the original real red poppies were more famous as flowers commemorating soldiers who died in the war.
Associated with the Peace Pledge Union.

The Purple Poppy commemorating animals who died in the war.
Associated with the Animal Aid charity.

The Black Poppy commemorating African, Black & Caribbean communities who contributed in any way to the war.
Associated with BlackPoppyRose.

Source:- BBC

·
98,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump to the top

·
Registered 2002 SLK 230 R170
355 Posts
In a Churchyard in Slimbridge Gloucestershire UK “Ghostlike” sculptures of solidiers who died in World War One stand over their graves in a scene which has moved people to tears.
A British Sculptor Jackie Lantelli, is the artist behind the sculptures.

The full story & more pictures are at -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-46155057

Requiescat in pace

·
Registered 2012 SLK250
42 Posts
Those last pictures are so touching...god knows how those brave men did what they did...I salute each and every one of them. We owe them so much.

·
28,762 Posts
Let's not forget the role of women, animals and civilians.

Every aspect of life is touched by conflict.

BBC has an interesting article on nursing.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26838077

No matter which side 'wins', both sides suffer from the consequences of war.

100 years on from WWI we are still finding munitions.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
580 Posts
There have been some - interesting is the wrong word - programmes on BBC TV this week and if you can they are worth catching on catch-up. Some of which were made many years ago and feature interviews with soldiers who served.

One of the soldiers who had been in the trenches spoke of all the lice. Pioneering surgeons were also featured and some of the injuries shown were totally horrific. Others spoke about charging across no-mans land and suddenly the man next to them disappearing.

Many many brave men and women .....do not forget the nurses etc at the front.

Thanks to them we have our tomorrow.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,376 Posts
In a Churchyard in Slimbridge Gloucestershire UK “Ghostlike” sculptures of solidiers who died in World War One stand over their graves in a scene which has moved people to tears.
A British Sculptor Jackie Lantelli, is the artist behind the sculptures.

The full story & more pictures are at -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-46155057

Requiescat in pace
Only down the road to me, I will have to pay it a visit tomorrow. Very effective / haunting / emotional art.

·
98,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump for the day!!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,376 Posts
Well, as it turned out the ‘ghost soldiers’ were so popular that the the small village of slimbridge was gridlocked over the weekend so, as I’m off work at the moment, I decided to go today with my wife and mother in law.
Just as we got to the church the dark swirling clouds came over which looked like something from a horror movie......very spooky!
We managed to have a look at the soldiers before the heavens opened with thunder and lightning to add more spookyness to the whole experience.
I have to admit, in real life they do look like ghosts from a distance. Up close you can see the amazing details of the sculptures. That is a talented artist who created them.
Due to the weather and the fact that there was still a large amount of people at the church, I didn’t take any photos but just stood and looked in awe and amazement!
In all it was a very awe inspiring and moving experience, well worth going to and really made me think of the unnecessary loss of life during the Great War and all wars and conflicts since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts