Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left hand indicator lights do not flash when locking/unlocking the car.
All happens when the remote is pressed - the car locks and unlocks and the right side lights flash. The indicators work correctly and the hazard switch flashes all indicator lights.
I have searched but cannot find the answer. I thought I was on to the answer when searches said there was a fuse box in the boot behind the flap by the PSE. My car is a 1999 Australian delivery and there is no fuse box behind this flap.
Although there is really no major problem, I would like to get to the bottom of it and thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,214 Posts
Hi,

IIRC I recently posted a copy of the Wiring Diagram on another thread for this problem, do some searching here, there are several Modules involved in this, could be a bad module or connection, likely at the PSE but PSE also communicates with RF / DAS Module and others via the CAN Bus, all of which are involved in RF Locking and Alarm Function ;)

HTH,

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,145 Posts
I don't believe the bulbs that flash upon remote lock/unlock are the same bulbs that flash when you turn or activate the red triangle.

·
3,214 Posts
They are on my 2002 320 and others ;)

HTH,

·
3,214 Posts
OK,

Rocket Science it isn't ;) ................

Pins 2 and 4 on PSE feed Left and Right (respectively) Indicators in Tail Lamps, which in turn are part of the Indicator Circuit so feed back to the Mirror indicators and Indicators in Front Headlamps ..............................

FSB2B = DAS / RF Module which is receiving the Key Button press signal and transmitting that to PSE, as one Indicator Circuit is Flashing and Car is Locking / Unlocking !!

Conclusion ..............

PSE Fault or Wiring from PSE to / at Rear Lamps.

·
5,145 Posts
My experience was with a pre-FL car (1998) which is different. What does pin 2 shown on the FBS do?

I'm not denying the PSE flashes the lights when the theft alarm is triggered....

·
3,214 Posts
What does pin 2 shown on the FBS do?
Hi, yes I see where you're going with this ;)

I have absolutely no idea without delving into more wiring Diagrams, and sadly I'm a bit busy for that right now ;)

The one I photo'd and posted I had to hand on my desk from my Post Facelift R170 V6 ECU / Immo / Starter Circuit / V8 Install research ..............
It is labelled "blinker control" and says it goes to exterior lights.

Also I have just noted that the OP's car is 1999 and Australian so as my wiring diagram refers to UK Post Facelift Car then it could well be different ;) ................

However, as R170's (in UK at least), suffer with PSE and it's connections getting damp / verdigris, and Tail Light connection problems too, then that would still be my first port of call as it is a much easier task to check those 2 items first for Voltage outputs when arming / disarming in just a few minutes, rather than having to remove the upper and lower Dash Panels, Steering Wheel and Airbag and then the Cluster in order to get at the DAS / RF Module and check what that is doing, also as it is only a single wire I would also think that he would have absolutely no Blink on Arm / Disarm if that particular FBS2b circuit was at fault, whereas the PSE is clearly identified as Left and Right outputs ;)

But .................
Now, I dunno, you got me lol :confused: ..............

I'm very interested to hear the outcome ;)

·
5,145 Posts
Tony,

This wiring changed greatly in the 1998-1999 era, at least on the US cars, and the best I can tell you is the wiring diagrams are confusing and unclear. There are several situations where "flashing exterior lights" can occur:

Turn signal - two corners
Hazard signal - four corners
Alarm activated - four corners
Remote command to lock or unlock - four corners

Can you do us a favor here - focusing on your right-front and right-rear corners only, can you tell us which bulbs - exactly - are flashing when you A) activate the hazard signal, B) press the remote unlock button on the key, and C) trigger the alarm (e.g. by locking the car with the window down, reaching in, and opening the door handle from the inside).

A picture might be helpful since lighting requirements vary from country to country.

·
5,145 Posts
Ah - answering my own questions here... sorry. Document 80.57-U-2000D appears to be the correct diagram for Tony's car - and it clearly shows Pin 2 labelled "Blinker Control" on the FBS (a.k.a. Radio Frequency Control Module a.k.a. N54/3) and this one pin is connected to relay K54 (Lock confirmation relay, which in turn connects to both left and right side bulbs.

Tony - can you find relay K54 in your fuse box (the one in the engine compartment?). This almost certainly is your culprit.

·
3,214 Posts
can you find relay K54 in your fuse box (the one in the engine compartment?). This almost certainly is your culprit.
Good Call and apologies for waffling on about PSE ;) ...............

I wonder if that is the same system on Post Facelift ??

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
146 Posts
I was having the same issue in my post facelift, slk 320 2004. It was one of the fuses behind the steering wheel. There were separate fuses for the left and right low beams/side markers. Strange thing is, that I could still activate them using the blinker but when I tried turning them on using the dial, they wouldn’t come on.

I got some good info from this site when I was working on it You are being redirected...

·
Registered 1999 SLK230, 2000 SLK230
21 Posts
Hi you awesome people, I located the relay and banged it against my lift but that didn’t fix it :D I’ll troubleshoot later on. The OP wrote up the questions many years ago, I just revived it by writing “ditto”

PSE pump is bright on my radar, too; but different reasons.

PS many moons ago I took Dave’s advice and got outfitted with SDS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts