Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a recommendation from a fellow forum member I purchased some led low beam bulbs from America...(headlight experts) They only came this morning so I've not had chance to fit them but having already had experience of replacing the stock halogen bulbs I am concerned that the new Led will be far too big to get the round dust cap to fit back on without fouling the body of the bulb....I might be wrong but has anyone had this prob and if so what did they do.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,875 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First post an introduction. It is like starting a conversation by saying 'Hello'.
Wondering what to say?
Look at other members introductions. Some are detailed, others are short.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome new members as we welcomed you to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator/administrator.

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment or use the 'quote' button so we know who you are asking or replying to or referencing.

New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.

FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you

Jeff

Administrator/Founding Member

·
Registered
81 Posts
Following a recommendation from a fellow forum member I purchased some led low beam bulbs from America...(headlight experts) They only came this morning so I've not had chance to fit them but having already had experience of replacing the stock halogen bulbs I am concerned that the new Led will be far too big to get the round dust cap to fit back on without fouling the body of the bulb....I might be wrong but has anyone had this prob and if so what did they do.
I was also looking at the same post as you, but elected to order some from Amazon in the UK as opposed to the States.

I have received them this week, and I am planning on fitting them this weekend. I will let you know how I got on, and what type they are, when I know that they are working correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Griff
These are quite big on the back with an Aluminium heatsink. The come with a trailing lead which incorporates a capacitor arrangement. I havent had chance to get the car back off my missus to take a look so be interested in your results

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Griff
I've fitted my led bulbs this afternoon and they actually do fit behind the cap ...just. my only prob is that they dont locate in the lug so you can rotate them 360 deg. It make a big difference to the beam pattern as well by the look of it....did yours locate okay?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been in touch with the supplier - headlight expert in usa - and they've said that led must be up and down in projector and left and right in reflector so hopefully when I position them they wont rotate with vibration

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Griff
I've fitted my led bulbs this afternoon and they actually do fit behind the cap ...just. my only prob is that they dont locate in the lug so you can rotate them 360 deg. It make a big difference to the beam pattern as well by the look of it....did yours locate okay?
Haven't had a chance to fit mine yet. The ones that I have got are similar to a halogen bulb in size as I want to fit them to the main beam as well, and there is less room for these.

Did you have to take off the wheels off to fit yours?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt remove the wheels as I was only doing dipped beams...must admit I'm totally underwhelmed by them...no brightness to them at all just a dull grey light on the road not what I was expecting when they advertise them as 3 times more powerful. Had a discussion with the seller who reckon you cant return unless new and unused which is a con as you wouldnt find out until you try them. I've adjusted the beams up which helps but they are pretty useless for the 80 odd quid they cost me

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didnt remove the wheels as I was only doing dipped beams...must admit I'm totally underwhelmed by them...no brightness to them at all just a dull grey light on the road not what I was expecting when they advertise them as 3 times more powerful. Had a discussion with the seller who reckon you cant return unless new and unused which is a con as you wouldnt find out until you try them. I've adjusted the beams up which helps but they are pretty useless for the 80 odd quid they cost me
You can get to the main beams from under the bonnet, and the dipped from the wheel well. Just wondered how much room there was to fit them with the wheel ‘in the way’.

Shame that they don’t appear to have improved things. Here’s hoping for mine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts