Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patiently waiting for darkness to see how effective the new LED Reversing lights are on Silkie....

Truely a two minute job to change the lamps over - but no way of knowing how effective the lamps are in the bright sunshine....

Sent from my Xperia while my back was turned

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
647 Posts
Wonder'f that would help a 2102 SLK 350. Mine are so dim you have to hold a candle up to them to see'f they're on. I use the brake lights and rear fog light to see where I'm going. Guess they're for signaling and not illumination.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Patiently waiting for darkness to see how effective the new LED Reversing lights are on Silkie....

Truely a two minute job to change the lamps over - but no way of knowing how effective the lamps are in the bright sunshine....

Hi, was it just a straightforward bulb replacement Savcom? What did you replace them with?

Thanks,

Dez

·
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initially it was, but I have the bulb warning light lit so I need to work out what resistors to put in place.

My goodness they're bright!

·
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been remiss. I've not updated this since completing the work.

I ordered these LEDs from eBay - apparently "2x Bulbs Reverse 15Smd LED P21W BA15S Bright White 750Lumen Canbus Mercedes"
Capture.JPG

The price has gone up since I bought them though.... :surprise::surprise::surprise:

That said, I've a few thoughts I'd like to share about them.
Firstly I looked long and hard and tried to pick a lamp that would put the most light out in the direction I wanted - i.e. straight back - owing to how the old lamp sat in the holder. These definitely throw the light where you want it!!

Secondly, having seen the bulb fail lamp light up I measured the power consumed by each lamp - this was a shade under 7W per lamp (the lamps drew 0.483A at 13.8V). That's not nearly enough to fool CANBUS logic - hence the bulb failure warning. However, the light produced is a marked improvement on the old incandescent versions and worth the upgrade despite the extra hassle of adding resistors. I added 2x 12R 25W resistors across the brown and grey/yellow cables in the rear lamp harness (see diagram below).

circuit.jpg

Finally, I suspect it would have been a bit cheaper buying non-CANBUS lamps and adding the resistors myself. :nerd::nerd:
I've more photos of the resistor fitting so I'll pop those in a new post on this thread.

·
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To finish this thread, I had to fit resistors to fool the car that the lamps had not failed. This took me 30mins - including photographs!

First the problem:
bulb-warning.JPG

Next the kit (I made these - but you can get ready-made kits for a few pounds/dollars from most motor factors or Amazon)
resistors.jpg

I took out the nearside loom to do the install:
nearside-loom.jpg

The wires you need are the Brown and the Grey/Yellow (see wiring diagram above - but don't forget my car is a facelift so check the colour codes for your car before crimping!)
Here is the resistor attached to the nearside loom:
fitted.jpg

I repeated this process with the offside loom (there is an extra cable on this loom for the rear fog lamp - but you will still need to put the other resistor on the Brown and Grey/Yellow cables) and tested the car again. That's better!
fixed.jpg

Note the before and after times on the clocks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am on the same boat as you...thinking we need to get those None-CANBUS Error free LED bulbs everyone keeps talking about for our cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.