·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,295 Posts
Looks great!
Did u make it so it is on all the time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not really sure how I feel about these. It makes me think of Iron Man. I haven't seen one "in the wild" yet. Once I see one live and in person I can probably decide. I'm afraid this might mean I am old school. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wired directly to the DRL, very subtle during the day and a nice glow at night, since we are really limited on the mods that can done, this is something that you don't see on our SLKs

·
Registered
144 Posts
My local dealer told me more and more of the new models have it as a standard feature when I asked if they were selling many of them. He also told me they sell very few of them. I am interested to see whether or not this goes the way of the set belt extension arms of the W124 - gone since the early 90s.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That does look nice. Can you provide some more info? Was the star you added for another model? I called the local dealer who said they weren't showing the illuminated star as available for the SLK 172.

·
Red Devil
191 Posts
Problem is that, the star looks better in real life than in a picture, if you know how it looks like in real life it shouldn't be looking all blue covered, mine has the led star when I look at it it's white and very beautiful but then I take a photo and it's all blue covered in light with the interior of the circle, makes me really mad :\ I dunno why it happens like this in photos!

What I mean

How it looks like in real life ( abit played with it to make it look life real life )

Difference is you don't see blue light and the interior of the circle is not blued

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zero-q8, your original post was excellent. Great pictures. You were the reason I took the chance to purchase this star and go with it. You have a sharp car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SD-13SLK55AMG, the star is in-fact for a CLS (W218), it fits perfectly, regardless of what you might hear, I have the same 2013 SLK55, I original saw the post from zero_q8 last year and was debating it, but it looks so sharp, as he stated in his post, when you take a picture of it at night, the picture does show a bluish tint, but it is not there.* I am very picky about things, when you look at your original star, take the part number and you will find that it cross references several other MB grilles.* I actually purchased my star from AMAZON not the dealership, the price of it was less than $100.* Then I tied it into my lower daytime running light, during the day when the star is lit, not noticeable at all really, but at night when it illuminates, there's no other SLK around that has the look!*

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Do you have the Distronics System installed? The transmit/receive antenna is located right behind the Star, and I was wondering if the lights would somehow interfere with its operation?

However, I do like the looks of the led lights, nice work.

Cheers,

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
SD-13SLK55AMG, the star is in-fact for a CLS (W218), it fits perfectly, regardless of what you might hear, I have the same 2013 SLK55, I original saw the post from zero_q8 last year and was debating it, but it looks so sharp, as he stated in his post, when you take a picture of it at night, the picture does show a bluish tint, but it is not there.* I am very picky about things, when you look at your original star, take the part number and you will find that it cross references several other MB grilles.* I actually purchased my star from AMAZON not the dealership, the price of it was less than $100.* Then I tied it into my lower daytime running light, during the day when the star is lit, not noticeable at all really, but at night when it illuminates, there's no other SLK around that has the look!*
Not seen any on Amazon for that price .... when they do, I'll grab one and see how it fits on the R171

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Not seen any on Amazon for that price .... when they do, I'll grab one and see how it fits on the R171
I see several on Amazon, I searched 'mercedes led star CLS (W218)' but it says specifically for model year starting 2013. Does anyone know for sure if the SLK grill/star is different from 2012 to 2013?

This one is only $85 w/free shipping!

·
Red Devil
191 Posts
Glad someone else got it and it fits, I connected mine to the two lighted front lights up there so when I turn off the zenon the star is still lit, so when you turn off engine and lock doors you can see it, also when you unlock doors by your remote you can see it from far away, I always do that when am faraway taking a coffe then walking to my car to see it, why I can't have it as a picture !

If you want the blue surround off the picture, try to go to a dark place then with the zenon on move a little far then aim your cam from below the star till it happens, I think I did it with flash can't remember really I have another picture too

I remember that I did something to the contrast

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Just found one of these on good 'ol ebay. Says new, unused, and managed to get for a really good price. Will let you all know when I get it fitted!!!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Way less than OEM

I just received the Amazon special, now $106 from $85 and can confirm it fits perfectly. So simple, just twist counter-clockwise to remove the old and twist clockwise to insert the new. The Star looks exactly like OEM. The only difference from the stock Star is that it is not as deep; if I didn't have both side-by-side I'd never know. For free shipping, I am amazed how quickly it arrived from China.

The jury is still out as to if this is really a good deal as I haven't seen the Star illuminated. It's hot and humid this week and it looks like the only way to wire it is from under the car. I'm not inclined to deal with crawling on the ground in this heat so I'll most likely have it done tomorrow.

My initial thought of the illuminated Star was that it's a bit ostentatious but for $85, I had to give it a go. While it is definitely high on the bling factor (for me) I'll reserve judgment until I see it illuminated, then I'll decide if I keep it or add a switch to control when it's lit.

·
Red Devil
191 Posts
To see if your money was worth it, connect the wires to your two upper lines in your front lights when you switch off the zenon you can see the star and the 2 lines you have, now park somewhere dark then close the doors and lock it, go far away from the car and unlock it, move slowly to see the beauty.

if you want your pictures to be like what your eyes saw, play with the contrast.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.