Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.

Today due to the really windy and rainy day in the uk I decided to finally try and sort out the front indicators on the slk. Before Christmas I purchased a complete set of led PY21w bulbs for the car. The rear ones fitted in fine and worked superb with no errors reported. the front ones however would not even light up, and the front fogs took over as back up turn signal and the error on the display was present. Today i took out the bulb holder and spliced in a 50w 6ohms resistor to see if i could spoof the light in to working.

Well that did not work, so i then removed the resistor and soldered on flying leads to the bulb holder and fitted it back in the headlight without no bulb fitted. I then put the hazard lights on and held the flying leads to the led bulb and as i had a red and black wire it was foolproof as to which one was connected to parts of the bulb.

The led will only work one way round as they are positive and negative dependent. I tried this on the bench with a 12 volt battery and found the single contact on the base was positive and the cap was negative (like all other bulbs i have come across) the led flashed at a decent rate and no hyper flashing and no warning on the display and no foglight flashing either.

On taking the bulb holder back out and seeing which wire was connected to where, i found out that the wire that was touched on the side (-) of the led bulb was connected to the contact where the base pin would be(+), and the wire on the center pin(+) was connected to the side of the bulb (-).

I am at a loss now as it seems i need a LED bulb wired so as the center pin is negative and the cap body is positive.:|

Anybody else come across this or am i right off track somewhere.

Cheers Garry:grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.