Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after my success with the wheel refurb i thought i would finish the car of with a led light upgrade to remove the fried egg on the front lights.

Purchased some bulbs from an online led site and was told they were error free canbus type. if they did not work they said i could return them as Mercedes were a bit critical on the canbus side.

Fitted the rear bulbs and they work fine. Fitted perfect and a really bright light with instant off and on.

The front nearside indicator bulb was the easiest to get at and i tried that first.
When i put the Hazard lights on to test it the nearside lower fog lamp flashed and the offside indicator flashed as normal. The led did not light at all. Display told me a bulb was out.
Been reading on google that this is a Mercedes fail-safe for the turn indicator so a light is still shown flashing at the front.

Dont want to send them back as the rears look awesome.

Any help would be appreciated

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
LED lights have to be installed the correct way around. If they can be rotated by 180°, try that (I can't remember if they can as its a while since I changed my indicator bulbs).

If that doesn't work, and you're looking for an alternative bulb, try clicking the relevant link in my signature for the chrome indicator bulbs instead. They're regular bulbs, but silver coloured and still flash orange, so no canbus issues whatsoever! :D

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the bulb holder go in the wrong way? space is a bit tight to get my hands in. thinking it may be in 180 degrees out as dbgrn says they may be in the wrong way. but with the offset pins the bulb must be in right.

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,856 Posts
Can the bulb holder go in the wrong way? space is a bit tight to get my hands in. thinking it may be in 180 degrees out as dbgrn says they may be in the wrong way. but with the offset pins the bulb must be in right.
I believe they only go in one way but I'm not 100% on that. If the bulb holder isn't fully rotated after insertion the electrical contacts may be open giving you the bulb out error. It is tricky to turn bulbs in the confined space. You can remove the air intake pipes on a 55 to give more room though!

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,856 Posts
Know anyone with small hands? :grin:

If you are really struggling you can remove the wheel and wheel arch liner to get more access to the back of the light.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Sounds like Col has a better memory than me on this one... nothing more I can add... Good luck! :)

Reactions: Col

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howdy All, well tried all ways with the LED front indicators and got nowhere. Tried led at front and filament bulb at back, throws an error that the indicator bulb has blown and flashes the front foglight as backup.

Looked at putting a load resistor in the circuit but the bulb holder connects to the light for its power and has no cables to latch into. http://www.slkworld.com/members/95617-racingblue.html has got his working with a different type of bulb. I can send mine back to the supplier and try these i suppose. Did not want to go to chrome filament as the led flash is so sharp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.