Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave the dealer's badge/logo on your Mercedes?

Given all the bad ink (electrons) that are heaped on dealers in these forum discussions, I suspect that I know the answer, but I'm wondering how many owners actually leave the dealer's logo on it when they drive away.

By way of background, my first "real" job was in radio and then tv. I quickly learned that virtually every word and picture was worth something. Mention a brand name ("plug the product") and it should cost someone something. That was a very long time ago, but to this day I won't pay for "branded" products unless there's no alternative, its given to me for free or it represents the dealer bonus to me of some sort.

I'm the same with my cars. I politely tell the seller that they may NOT attach their dealer logo to the vehicle unless they're ready to exchange something for it; take another thousand off the price; upgrade something significant; earn the advertising space that you'll get! I know that my SLK draws attention; it's beautiful. And I know that if it has a dealer badge, that has the same esthetic effect as a billboard in front of the Grand Canyon.

Now I see both the badge AND the dealer's license frames on way too many cars. Maybe they think it will generate some kind of loyalty exchange when they take the car back for service but any knothead who's paid the price of a dealer's routine service should know better than that.

Leave it on and advertise for them or leave it off and remind them that you're not ready to do them a favor. I paid them a premium price for a premium vehicle. There's a premium for that advertising space, too.

What's your opinion? I suspect that there's someone at every MB dealership in America who's assigned to keep up with this forum. Maybe we can leave a message for them.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No stickers ever! If they can't get the sticker, or badge off without leaving the paint pristine I will walk away from the car.

Plate frames are acceptable. They can be removed if I want, and do not leave a scar on the paint. Of course, I removed the plate frame and put a nice chrome one from the catalog.

I would never buy a car based on the advertising of a dealer on it. Quite the opposite, I take away points for tacky logos. Also, most people with dealer ads on their cars, let the cars go and they look like crap. Word of mouth is the BEST advertising a dealer can get, so they are better off delivering the car with a smile then a logo.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's a way to tell if a car was purchased out of state. I'd either charge the dealer advertising costs (if I moved out of state from the dealer) or demand that they come to my new residence and remove the decal or badge without damage.

Did a MB dealer put the badge on?

In other words, I'd remove it immediately.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
No dealer badge nor license plate frame (unless they're paying for the ad or publicity).

In SoCal, it is not common practice to stick on dealer's logo/sticker as I've noticed when I was in the midwest. I politely returned the dealer's license plate frame within a week of purchase. Some MB dealers here do give you a small-ish sticker to place on the right lower front windshield to show that you bought the car from them and you're eligible for a free car wash whenever.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
Mine came with a chrome dealer plate frame. At first I took it off, then I felt the plate looked naked without it so I put it back on. I intended to replace it with a generic chrome frame, but never got around to do it. Now I have other more important projects.

In general though, I hate dealer stickers and badges.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
I'll refuse any car with dealer advertisements (unless they are paying me for it).

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
I peel mine off straight away....

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the UK just about ever car I've bought has had a sticker in the back window to show which dealership it came from. I've always removed them as soon I as I got the car, but my 'new' (to me) SLK did not come with one, the girl I bought it from had it since new and she says it did not come with one.

A friend of mine bought an brande new Audi from a dealership a few weeks ago and I noticed that apart from the keyring there was no branding, Im wondering if they have discontinued it.

The law here recently changed about number plates, where ever you get the number plates from has to put the name and postcode (think ZIP code) into the plate itself. Most dealerships take the opportunity to put their name there, but its really so small you have to be close and looking to see it.
________
electronic cigarettes

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would never allow dealer stickers or logos on any car I purchase, and I've always wondered why others did. I've allowed them on car plate frames but they stay there only until I purchase new ones to replace them with.

D

·
0 Posts
We put the star, our shop name and the postcode on the numberplates (legal requirement apart from the star) so in small letters on the bottom of the plates you see "MB logo Mercedes-Benz of ABCDE AB1 2CD".

On the tax disk holder we normally put branding on the non-stick side, its a credit card sized area to put info and its mostly the mobilio life information for breakdown's.

No badges ever or any stupid stickers that take up lots of real estate.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've often wondered if there was a California law or something that prevents them from doing this? I see out of state cars with these sometimes, metal badges or decals on the back of the car. I find it repulsive. However, if you're from an area that does it, perhaps it's not quite as bad.

I leave dealer plate frames on until plates come. I prefer no frame at all after that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Never Ever would I allow any advertisment on my car or licenseplate frame, from any car dealer to stay on. Ewww. I always hated that and removed it the minute I drove of their lot. Some even have the "sales persons" name on it....Never understood why anyone would carry their name around :td:

I am not advertising a car dealer for free,and have their name on my vehicle. Just because I purchased a car from them, that I had to pay for in the full amount haha

I also think strongly, any advertisment from a dealer on your Mercedes Benz looks ugly and cheap.

The Only badges that is on my car is the badge from Mercedes Benz the Manufacturer, they are the ones I represent and Advertise, if you wanna call it that way.

The Only other badge thats attached to my car is the state of Texas :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm enjoying this. For a long time I felt like I was the odd man out...seems like folks back here on the East Coast must all just LOVE their dealers.

Here's another question. Has anyone ever actually bartered something from the dealer to leave it on?

·
Registered
110 Posts
There's alot of different views of whether badge on or off. I knew when I was ordering my car that there was no way I was having the dealership's name on the back of my car, so I told my salesman in advance no badges on the car.Picked up the car and the only badges on the trunk were SLK55......////AMG just the way it should of looked! :tu:

·
Registered
600 Posts
No dealer badges ever. First thing I did when I got the car was take the badge off. PITA to do too, it was a lot of individual letters and numbers.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
Mine came with a chrome dealer plate frame. At first I took it off, then I felt the plate looked naked without it so I put it back on. I intended to replace it with a generic chrome frame, but never got around to do it. Now I have other more important projects.

In general though, I hate dealer stickers and badges.
My SLK came with a similar chrome frame with the dealer name on it. So I reversed it with the dealer info now behind the plate and it looks pretty good. Better than a naked plate and I think better looking than the frames that say Mercedes-Benz or something else, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.