Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
The black leather on the side panel of the driver's seat is showing wear - see pic. I don't want to condition the leather until I know if I need to fill the cracks or redye the panel. The rest of the leather is great.
Any advice would be welcome, perhaps with a product recommendation.
Bluechrome

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,881 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Watch this!

Hi Guys
The black leather on the side panel of the driver's seat is showing wear - see pic. I don't want to condition the leather until I know if I need to fill the cracks or redye the panel. The rest of the leather is great.
Any advice would be welcome, perhaps with a product recommendation.
Bluechrome

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I came across an old shoe repair shop the other day and showed the ancient chap behind the counter my picture he suggested this black cream.
https://www.monsieurchaussure.com/en/shoe-polish/famaco-shoe-polish/famaco-shoe-cream/famaco-black-shoe-cream.html
It cost $5.
The cracked leather panel came up nicely but I had to do all the seats as the color didn't quite match - on a 18 year old car. After the black cream I used Mothers Leather Conditioner. It looks good but I think I may have to do it on a regular basis to keep the leather soft.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Leather feed, use over several days to feed the dryness. I use motorcycle jacket stuff because I had it left over. Then I used Kiwi liquid shoe polish, a quick brush over and wipe off, several times to get the colour matched.
@55russamg - for some reason the screenshot you attached is borked. I get redirected to a page that tells me I'm 'not authorised' to view that picture. Me of all people!! :x
I too have a driver's bolster that is cracking:
seatbolster.jpg

I'll see if I can find something to feed the leather. Tell me. Is there a risk, when putting black liquid polish on the seat, of eventually staining the seat of your pants at all?? :surprise::surprise:

One also wonders what to do about the leather on the steering wheel though??
Steeringwheelleather.jpg

Should one feed that too? Is there a danger that the leather would lose it's grip at all?

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
That link doesn't work for me either. It was probably a picture of Kiwi black polish.
I only really use it on the bolster and I apply and rub off several times to build the colour slowly. Mine had a very dry area when I bought it.
I fed it several times leaving it to soak in over a number of short periods. When it felt soft again I applied the liquid polish. Doing a light coat and then a wipe off, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Look at Forensic detailing on you tube.
The guy can talk but he tells you how to clean your leather steering wheel.
In theory the leather should be slightly Matt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts