Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our SLK (2003 230K) has the two tone interior, cream and black / dark grey.

The leather is a bit tired (particularly on the wheel and gear knob) but doesn't have any bad rips or tears. As such I want to do a bit of DIY work to restore it. You can buy kits with various chemicals, fillers, paints and applicators to do the necessary but I am having a bit of a headscratch about what exactly the colour is.

From some investigation a while ago I'm pretty sure that the beige is called "Siam Beige 215A". Everything I can find online seems to point to that but the actually colour chart I can find makes it look a bit too yellow and Sahara looks closer - see here Colour Chart Mercedes - Furniture Clinic. But OK I'm happy to go with what the numbers say and if it is wildly wrong when the paint arrives it'll be obvious.

I did a decode of the car's VIN and that says "215A Leather Quartz / Siam Beige". So far so good. I assumed that the Quartz bit was the black/grey outers but from a look about Quartz seems to be much paler and is in fact that pale grey that was used for the inner sections on some pre facelift cars. The black/grey parts definitely aren't black and are more a very dark grey. Looking at the chart again I'd hazard a guess at them being "Anthracite 731" or "Graphite 001 SL".

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,453 Posts
The problem with online charts is it is difficult to see even if the exact match is there as the medium is different.

Hopefully, someone with those colours will drop by.
In the meantime, perhaps cleaning is the way to go as it may be a while before someone with those colours drops by.

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
My pre facelift had these colours or similar. The usual source for these in Europe is Volico in Germany. They sell small bottles on eBay and aerosols from the factory. If you put a search into eBay for "SLK interior mercedes paint color 215 siam beige r170 1996-2004" you will find another supplier in Latvia. I know nothing about them but they do have small sample packs if you want to to a colour match check.
The easiest solution though is to find a local paint supplier who will colour match for you and fill a spray can with acrylic . Just prep the surface carefully and it will be fine. It's what I did in the end.. . before I completely replaced the seats for anthracite facelift.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Useful ta. Yeah, been looking at the paints for the plastics as that'll be next on the list, my rough plan there will be to see about getting them done professionally as it'll likely work out more cost effective. Leather first though, was tempted to do a retrim but I've already done that on one car this year as well as spending about as much as its worth on the SLK as a bit of recommissioning work.

Been doing some more digging this afternoon and it's definitely the Siam and "something else" interior as per those pics on the thread Marcus links to. Still got that head scratch on what the grey parts are exactly in terms of the code. I'm tempted to go with the anthracite that furniture clinic do as a sample and see how that goes.

Another thing I was planning to do on the car over the winter was to fix the dash lights as some on the dials had gone. Amusingly though I've been using the car a fair bit these past few weeks and they suddenly came back to life and have stayed working :D Saves me the bother!

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Minor update. Found somewhere that does tiny touch up bottles of mercedes leather colours so I've bought a couple to act as tester pots. Looking at it today I actually think I could get away with not touching the grey apart from a bloody good clean up. The siam bits are what needs attention and that's the one I'm confident of. Think I'll pull the seats out to do those. I assume it's fairly straightforward, 4 bolts, unplug the electrical connectors and take a deep breath before lifting the big lumps. The beauty there of convertibles though makes removing seats far less stressful. Last year's work I had the car inside but it currently needs to live outside (under a posh cover) due to others having a greater justification for being kept indoors.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shoe dye is a great shout for the anthracite bits as they're in better condition than the beige. Think I'll try the furniture clinic stuff for the beige leather then bite the bullet on the volico stuff for the plastics. I do have a decent airbrush set up so might be able to get the volico paint in a bottle to use with that rather than aerosol cans.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,888 Posts
Airbrushing would be the ideal - GL with getting the right paint (y)

FWIW, Volico do have their own YT Channel, not much on it but it makes for an interesting 10mins and you can also see what we mean by "small cans" the ruddy things are tiny 🤷‍♂️

VOLICOde - YouTube

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
A couple of three observations which may or may not help. Using paint from different suppliers for the plastic and the seats will likely end up with different shades. Why use different paints? What will do on the leather will do on the plastic. You need to remove the paint from the plastics before you repaint. Water does the trick and there are threads on this. The door cards need removing but you should be able to overcoat if prepped properly. Furniture Clinic make some excellent products for leather repair but when I was looking for Siam I couldn't find the right colour. One difficulty painting the seat panels is that it is very easy to over apply and fill the perforation holes.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good points. Yes, I was thinking similar on the different paint types and wondering if one product could be used. The furniture clinic stuff does look good and comprehensive and if their leather paint would also adhere to the plastics (once they're properly prepared). Yes, I'm going to get some testers from them as their siam beige (monitor performance etc aside) looks far too yellow.

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
976 Posts
Don't forget you are not painting leather. You are laying paint onto paint. It needs to be flexible of course and adhere well to the existing finish and you might need to take advice on whether or not a primer should be used. I'm sure Furniture Clinic would be happy to give general advice. Leather finishes have changed over the years. For example the early series Jag XJs had a completely different finish to the later Series 3s. and needed treating very carefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts