Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SLKWorld people,

Just a quick question does anyone have any good suggestions for a cleaner/conditioner/restorer for the interior, mainly the seats?

My color code is 844A LEATHER/NAPPA/SEMI-ANILINE - BROWN

Thanks

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts
I use meguiars gold leather conditioner and cleaner

Check this section for what other member's use and recommend

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just saw this one got some good reviews - Walmart

Lexol Leather Cleaner
Lexol Leather Conditioner

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I use Lexol conditioner, a bit tricky to soak the leather correctly, but it seems to work well. I use it every six months.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
www.leatherique.com

Great folks, great products. Quite popular with Mercedes, BMW, Rolls owners.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I've used the Griot's products and the Xymol products on my other cars for years. However, one thing I read somewhere is that most cars have a gloss protectant (clear coat) on the leather seats. My SLK has Aniline leather, which is a natural (no clear coat) leather.

It absorbs treatments much differently than my other cars. As a natural hide (or skin) it needs to be maintained somewhat differently, using an aniline-specific softening cream or conditioner. Almost anything I put on the seats changes the color, so be aware. If you don't get even coverage, it will show! This is very different from what happens on non-aniline leather seats.

I found this article about aniline leather care that may be helpful:

Aniline Leather; Cleaning and Care - Autopia Detailing Wiki - Autopia

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sigh, since I got my car pre-owned I noticed that I had some crumbs and dust in the crevices of the seats, so I bought some leather cleaner/conditioner wipes to remove it. I ended up getting some swirls in the black leather from doing so. I'm kicking myself now. That is what I get for not coming on here first. :(

·
92,758 Posts
so you did not vacuum first before applying? the crumbs would act like 'grit' while you were cleaning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
so you did not vacuum first before applying? the crumbs would act like 'grit' while you were cleaning.
Yeah, the crumbs were no problem. I got those up first. It was the conditioner on the wipes that either did not apply evenly or something to create some swirly patterns in the leather. They were pretty wet I thought I had applied them evenly but there a splotches that are darker than others. Admittedly I don't think anyone else would notice at a glance, except me, since I'm looking for it. But I'm still kicking myself.

I thought I might wait a day or two and then try some Meguiar's conditioner to at least make the leather hopefully all one color again.

·
92,758 Posts
It's because we love our cars and spend so much time cleaning (at least me) that we notice every little thing.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
JB - spend time cleaning? Nah, not too much! All joking aside, I have been pleased with a combination of Lexol cleaner and then Lexol conditioner followed up with 303 protectant. I do this about every 6 weeks, but wipe the seats down with a damp cloth for hydration at every weekly washing. I live with the top down in the brutal Miami sun, and I have had leather seats on my roadsters for the past 15 years. The last one had black seats and they looked factory perfect after 12 years with this routine.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like the Griot's Garage Leather Care. I apply it to the seats about three times a year here in Oregon; might up that to four for the SLK since the top is down most of the time. I've used this product on Black and Ash/Black leather seats for nearly fifteen years; never a color change. I've seen it demonstrated on other colors, and haven't seen those change either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the Lexol products on my SLK and home furniture....
Seems to work well..........................BUT...........................
When these bottles are gone, I'm going to give Griot's a try.....

·
Registered
866 Posts
I use Weiman Leather cleaner and conditioner (finished leathers only). Its a multi-action formula that cleans, moisturizes, and protects. Natural cleaners and oils condition leather restoring suppleness and sheen. Even has sunscreen to prevent fading, drying, and cracking. For everything else, I use Meguiars products which are the best IMO. As with any product though, always test in inconspicuous area (they all say it).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts