Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( It rained all day here in Houston.... when I got to my car, there was a small amount water on my driver's seat after I opened the door... there is a small amount of water at the thickened rubber area on the inside of the window... I noticed this while I was driving...

Any Fixes...???

Is this a major Concern...???

I had a '85 300 ZX with T-top's, but they leaked terribly!

Please help me out when you guys / y'all have a minute... sorry sooooo late!

Rick / Sith

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Any photos? What is condition of the rubber seal?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rubber is in pretty good condition... not torn or bent or pressed out of shape...
I really thought it was my imagination... this car has been stored outside for the last few years and my father in law made no mention of any leaks...

I will try to post some pics on saturday, as my friday has been crazy and its all good, but busy...

Thanks for a response etyu!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Perhaps something to coat and soften the rubber seal. Here's what lkchris posted in another thread:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Thanks alot... my Acura could use some of that too!... my Wife looked at it and felt like the rubber had become alittle stiff, so this couldnt hurt at all!
... I will probably have to order it, but I will ask around a couple local places 1st... I will let you know what I find out and how it goes.... Rick/Sith

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi,

If the water comes from your window and the rubber is OK, you need a window adjustment, It's often the case on phase 1 doors.

anyway, be sure the water does not come from the roof rubber.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hi,

If the water comes from your window and the rubber is OK, you need a window adjustment, It's often the case on phase 1 doors.

So, does anyone have any expertise with this adjustment or should the car be taken to a mechanic? My driver's side door could use some adjustment... it does not currently leak during normal weather, but I do get water through it when water is sprayed against it from a hose (no leakage at all on the passenger side.

-Ronnie

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

JFR, What roof rubber are you referring to... are you talking about the front edge rubber on the roof that attaches to the windshield frame?

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
I think he is referring to the rubber in between where the top front edge of the retractable top meets the roof just above the visors. There is a rubber strip that reaches across side to side.

You may want to take it to a touchless laser car wash like the one at the Shamrock station just north of Cypresswood on Aldine westfield. Then you can watch to see where the water comes in without worry of spinning brushes scratching your paint.

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
279 Posts
So, does anyone have any expertise with this adjustment or should the car be taken to a mechanic?
-Ronnie
Hi,

first your window has to reach the top level and cover the rubber.
second, it has to apply regularly on the rubber.

there is a known problem with phase 1 before year 2000 SLK.
the window gets gently out of the bottom rail.
you have to undo the door and adjust and check the window.

if you are OK with DIY it's quite easy, if not like allways , find a mechanic . . .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

first your window has to reach the top level and cover the rubber.
second, it has to apply regularly on the rubber.

there is a known problem with phase 1 before year 2000 SLK.
the window gets gently out of the bottom rail.
you have to undo the door and adjust and check the window.

if you are OK with DIY it's quite easy, if not like allways , find a mechanic . . .
Thanks alot to all of you who have sent comments... :tu:

I already took the door panel off once to adjust the door handle , so I am good with fixing it... is there a DIY link I can use anywhere?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW... the roof rubber looks fine... appears to be isolated to just this one spot... on closer inspection, there are small cracks just before and just after the area of the leak... I saw it yesterday when I let the roof up and back...

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
40 Posts
Just to resurrect this thread...

I was on the highway yesterday in a fair amount of rain doing 70mph (or so). Suddenly, I noticed that my right arm was being dripped on occasionally. It was coming from the thicker rubber at the apex of the top/front curve in the driver side window I've not been out to double check in detail but I also think that's about the point of the roof/screen seal. It was occasional and I think it was because the speed I was doing was pushing water back upwards to that point rather than coming in from the top.

Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
I sometimes get a drip or 2 on the passenger seat after I have washed the car, the soap or detergents reduce the surface tension of the water and it runs between the rubber seal easier, happens on my Lexus as well just make sure the seals are dried off after washing, never had it rain in when driving.
Regards Stuart.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
Just to resurrect this thread...

I was on the highway yesterday in a fair amount of rain doing 70mph (or so). Suddenly, I noticed that my right arm was being dripped on occasionally. It was coming from the thicker rubber at the apex of the top/front curve in the driver side window I've not been out to double check in detail but I also think that's about the point of the roof/screen seal. It was occasional and I think it was because the speed I was doing was pushing water back upwards to that point rather than coming in from the top.

Has anyone else had this?

not when we gummi! :D

http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have had a 99 & now 03 plate SLK230 cars & both have done this on the LH side of cars. Doesn't seem to affect the RH side???

I can sometimes adjust angle of glass to stop it, but sooner or later it starts again.

1: Under cover above door latch on the end of door is a M10 nut, use extension bar & loosen, then push top of glass toward car (door open) & re-tighten. Be careful removing extension as i have dropped my socket inside door!

2: Under bottom of door is a rubber grommet, remove & a M10 nut is there. Loosen & move the bottom of glass rail toward car & re-tighten.

Both of these can help, but not always. Costs nothing so worth a go :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.