Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2003 SLK 230 it's amazing and I love it, but I have an issue with the vario roof. The car was sold to me as is. So apparently the roof was fine . The dealer tried operating it and it wouldn't go down and started leaking. The headliner from the sides is basically ruined. More on the the right passenger side. I knew it would be a little hassle but I live in Vegas and as of now it's 110+ degrees. So at first I didn't mind not putting the top down. So a few weeks ago I tried just out I curiosity to put the roof down and it happened as so:
Windows go down & side smaller windows go down, at the same time i hear the mechanism to start working, the trunk lid opens and lifts, (at this point I hear liquids squirt to then stop and then squirt again ) the top detracts from the windshield body frame, and the top folds neatly in the back and then the trunk closes and voila . It's a roadster! It would go back the same way as described. No lag whatsoever but noticed little bit of liquid build up in the headliner . Eventually I tried one more time. Windows went down again and stuff but this time the trunk lid took forever to open it took longer and longer and the motor of the roof sounded as if it was trying harder (accelerated) so I didn't bother and pushed back on the switch and close the trunk lid and the small windows went up. I tried again. the windows went down but this tome the trunk lod wast opening and the motor of the roof sounded too accelerated so i stopped pushed back and it was back to normal. After that I haven't tried putting the top down. Untold a few days ago. As soon as I pushed back the switch the motor sounded fine and the trunk lid opened normally but stopped there because I didn't want to go further. So whats my questions? well What's wrong with my roof? What can/how to fix it? And about the motor.. Could it be my car battery? Because it looks cheap (BS dealer) because after that. The SLK would start funny. As in the battery wa slow. I tested it and it discharges in the night. But after driving in the day the car starts fine everytime. It just in the mornings. Also when putting windows down and my gauge lights are on I see the dim when putting windows down. So when after operating motor could it be that it drains my battery? That the motor of the roof gets stressed? Thank you.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
If you do not know the true status of the battery, get it really tested or just buy a new one. the slk needs a great battery, not a new battery.
if battery test great, try a battery reset

disconnect battery for a minimum of 30 minutes (remove neg)
reconnect
reset clock
try roof

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
+1 on what Jeff said in the battery.

On the top, the latching cylinder in the headliner needs to be repaired. That can be done without completely removing it from the vehicle and the seals can be ordered from eBay, and they should come with instructions. You will have to remove the headliner and get the cylinder loose from the roof, but you and keep your lines intact. Besides the seal, you will need some hydraulic fluid for the pump (and perhaps a syringe and some tubing to get the fluid in the pump). On the roofs we have worked on, it has taken quite a little while for the lines to self-bleed and get the roof back up to speed.

Good luck,many happy 4th of July,
Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do not know the true status of the battery, get it really tested or just buy a new one. the slk needs a great battery, not a new battery.
if battery test great, try a battery reset

disconnect battery for a minimum of 30 minutes (remove neg)
reconnect
reset clock
try roof
Okay thank you, and I know for the fact is the battery, and again it's a cheap brand I don't even recognize it. Lol if so what are great batteries for the SLK out there? Thanks

·
97,361 Posts
have you searched our wonderful site? :D :D :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on what Jeff said in the battery.

On the top, the latching cylinder in the headliner needs to be repaired. That can be done without completely removing it from the vehicle and the seals can be ordered from eBay, and they should come with instructions. You will have to remove the headliner and get the cylinder loose from the roof, but you and keep your lines intact. Besides the seal, you will need some hydraulic fluid for the pump (and perhaps a syringe and some tubing to get the fluid in the pump). On the roofs we have worked on, it has taken quite a little while for the lines to self-bleed and get the roof back up to speed.

Good luck,many happy 4th of July,
Tim
Thank you! And happy 4th of July to both of you! I will be doing this before the next weekend hopefully, before taking the SLK on a trip. I have one more question though. What kind of hydraulic fluid do I get? One straight from the dealer? Or somewhere else? I heard the dealer is quite expensive on the hydraulic fluid, and do I have to empty the old fluid from the roof and pump? Thanks

·
97,361 Posts

·
97,361 Posts

·
97,361 Posts
We are always going to help out, but we like to 'teach a man to fish' :D

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
Do not try to lower the roof any more unless you are repairing it.

You should replace the seals in all 5 cylinders at the same time rather than have another cylinder fail when you need it most.
If you have $$$ for a battery & hydraulic fluid go to a MB dealership & get it there, yeah its pricey but you are about to save $$$$ replacing the seals in the hydraulic cylinders yourself rather than replacing the cylinders.

Also, have a look through the all of the links in my signature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.