Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roof stopped working on my 1998 SLK230, and I found the hydraulic pump on the right side of the trunk was devoid of fluid. I bought a can of the correct fluid and filled the chamber. When I tried to lower the roof, the windows worked, but the roof did not move. Checking the fluid level revealed that almost all of the fluid I had added was gone. I figured it had gone to fill the lines, so added more fluid. Upon trying the roof again, I had the same results (with the loss of fluid).
I can't find where the fluid has gone. There is nothing leaking under the car, nor through the headliner. I can't see any fluid below the pump (this fluid would drip to the ground).
Where should I look?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pull back all the panels and remove the headliner. Check my recent post, I just found my top related issue a couple days ago and it was fluid spraying out of the top latch cylinder. See if your headliner is damp or you can see signs of fluid leaking around trim and front seals. The rest of the cylinders are easy to check once panels are removed. $10 for a seal rebuild kit if you are up for the DIY

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Joe, it sounds like you have quite a collection of cars!!!!

The first cylinder that went out on ours was a trunk cylinder. Oil leaked into the area behind the rear wheel, and there is a drain hole that allowed it to puddle in the driveway right behind the wheel. When we purchased our current SLK, the pump was empty and the top didn't work. We filled the reservoir and hit the button. Immediately we could see fluid spewing from the cylinder that folds the top. Look in the upper corners of your trunk for oil spills. And as Todd mentioned, the locking cylinder where the roof meets the windshield could be the culprit. Check the headliner.

As Chris mentioned, this can be a DIY job. If you're not up for that sort of work, he and I could probably tackle it in an afternoon. We did our 320 in a day without having to completely remove the lines from the pump. The lock and top cylinders are quite easy. The ones that operate the trunk are a little more tricky.

Tim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Joe, I opened my cylinders tonight and all the seals were toast and fell apart when touched and crumbled into pieces.

Attached is a picture of the top latch the was the worse and leaking the most.

If you find this to be your problem let me know, I am in Trinity and have a garage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! That's a lot of responses! I thought there might be one cylinder that would be the most likely culprit, but I guess it could be any one of them. I'm in an RV park, so don't have many tools with me.
The headliner has no stains, and given the volume of fluid I've lost, I assume it isn't one in the roof that are leaking. I'll probe around a bit and see what I can find.
I've read here about the location of the cylinders, and think I can find them.
What tools are needed to put new seals in a cylinder? Are they a dealer-only item?
Joe

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of responses! I thought there might be one cylinder that would be the most likely culprit, but I guess it could be any one of them. I'm in an RV park, so don't have many tools with me.
The headliner has no stains, and given the volume of fluid I've lost, I assume it isn't one in the roof that are leaking. I'll probe around a bit and see what I can find.
I've read here about the location of the cylinders, and think I can find them.
What tools are needed to put new seals in a cylinder? Are they a dealer-only item?
Joe
Joe,

The tools needed would be a tarp, some rope, duct tape, a shovel and some cinder blocks. Oh wait, that's for a different project.

Minimal tools really. Screwdrivers, a hammer, a drill, a pick, a vice or vice grips and a small torx/star bit. I think that covers it. You need to remove the headliner, all the trunk linings and the covers right behind both doors where the top folds. A small funnel or syringe for filling the reservior on the pump is handy too. We removed the grey support (4 torx screws) that goes over the pump for easier access to filling it. The lines are labeled, as are the inlets in the pump, so you shouldn't confuse them. As I mentioned earlier, look in the top corners of the trunk, the area behind the doors, for fluid. Also behind the rear of each rear wheel well. The ones we've worked in have been very obvious.

Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I have to figure out how to lower the roof half way so as to get the panels out. Then I'll have to manually raise it during the time I can't work on it, since it is outside. I'm sure the info is on the site somewhere.
Thanks to all.
Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Todd, and I'd like to stop by. I just saw your reply this morning, as I was away yesterday. I'm actually in Bonita Springs this winter, so its a bit more of a drive than it would be from Sarasota, however I'd be glad to drive up and help you just for the chance to observe.
Where did you get your seals?
(I couldn't PM you because I don't yet have enough posts.)
Joe

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
Joe, i sent u a pm. go welcome 9 more people in the new member intro section, that takes about 5 mins and then wait for the system to refresh/update you, that might take an hour and you are done and then can pm everyone

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Thanks, Todd, and I'd like to stop by. I just saw your reply this morning, as I was away yesterday. I'm actually in Bonita Springs this winter, so its a bit more of a drive than it would be from Sarasota, however I'd be glad to drive up and help you just for the chance to observe.
Where did you get your seals?
(I couldn't PM you because I don't yet have enough posts.)
Joe
Joe,

Here is where I got the seals for our R170:

97 04 Mercedes SLK 230 Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Kit Hardtop Convertible R170 | eBay

Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.