Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this board. I'm looking at buying a SLK320 that has a pretty major cylinder leak. Just want to know approximately, how much I should deduct from the price? The price they are asking is pretty much top dollar. For a perfect car. I want to thank those that posted the info on how to fix them. I found how to replace the seals on the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Take $3,000 off the price.
LOL! I agree with leapyfish! Drop it couple $,$$$

Charging a top dollar for a leaking cylinder is nonsense...
1 cylinder is around $400 + labor (suspect add that same amount).
To replace all 4 it's around $4,000. You do the math. :grin:

On the other hand, front cylinder is the easiest to replace and will run you only 1-2hrs of your time and $30 damage to your pocket 0:):nerd::grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I bought my SLK the roof was soaked with fluid. The car came with a repair kit that only cost $35. I rebuilt all 5 cylinders. The trunk cylinders were the hard ones. The roof was by far easy. I did them all without disconnecting the lines. All your doing is replacing the o-ring. The roof o-ring was decentegrated. The kit is Shockwave Technology and it came with a step by step instruction document.
It can be done. But definitely take a chunk off the price because if I would put a price on what I did it would be high. It's on thing to work on your own car because you own the risk. You run a big risk of damaging the actuator shaft.
Just wanted you to here from someone who has done that!
Steven B.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one I bought had a leak in the trunk cylinder. They fixed both of them. Then I found a leak in the top cylinder. Took 200 off the price and will fix it myself. Ordered the O-Ring kit (with instructions) and the fluid from Ebay.
2 questions I have are can I lock (seal from the rain) the rook with the cylinder off? And the headlinder was wet with hydraulic fluid. Will this stain? If so how can I clean it?

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,384 Posts
See your other post of locking the roof, page 230 owners manual. The headliner you will need to replace or remove the material from the headliner board (around $200 online) and glue new headline material (check online) or have a car upholstery shop to do a repair. It is oil and not much for cleaning, due to oil the material will come lose from the backing board down the road.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,965 Posts
I've DIY cleaned a few oil soaked headliners after stripping the vinyl from the fiberglass (?) shell. I used degreasing dishwasher soap and a fingernail brush for scrubbing,, it took ~10 cycles of wash/rinse/dry before it lost its oily feel. I think the shell absorbs some of the oil.

I'm sure there are better chemicals to use but I have no idea what they are.

The hard part is removing the old glue from the shell first - plus its very easy to break the shell during all this. Having a good work surface is critical towards this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After cleaning my headliner I coated it with fiberglass resin because it was fragile. My first attempt to recover the headliner I used a thin vinyl. It looked great but did not hold. The heat and its weight caused it to delaminate. I went to a uhpostery shop and got the right fabrics and it turned out nice. Not much I haven't fixed in my interior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.