Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sounds a bit funny to some members but I gave it a try today drying my SLK with a leaf blower.
It works pretty well on reducing water mark for sure. Something I did notice is the extra tiny little chips(around 0.05mm) after drying, not sure if it was caused by the leaf blower or the truck with load of sand that I drove behind today. Anyway, will try to find out if the leaf blower does create chips on car:Beer:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I've been using a leaf blower for years with only positive results. No way it's causing your paint chips.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,441 Posts
I have used the leaf blower for a long time and not damage. Great for getting the water out from behind the mirror and all the cracks and seams. When you move the car you do not have water running over the dried car.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I have used them as well to good effect in the past. Better than leathering. Now I leave it to the wash guys to do

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,212 Posts
... had some guy with a leaf blower who was blowing actual leaves and crap all over the cars in the parking lot at Starbucks today at the Northern California SLK Group ride when we arrived at the meet point. I was shocked that none of the patrons of the mini-mall there really cared that little rocks and road trash was being blown onto their cars. It was really annoying.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
... had some guy with a leaf blower who was blowing actual leaves and crap all over the cars in the parking lot at Starbucks today at the Northern California SLK Group ride when we arrived at the meet point. I was shocked that none of the patrons of the mini-mall there really cared that little rocks and road trash was being blown onto their cars. It was really annoying.
Now that would be annoying and could result in violence :biglaugh:

·
1,212 Posts
I think the groundskeeper would have lost the privilege of holding that blower. It would have been taken away and field stripped into little tiny pieces.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I think the groundskeeper would have lost the privilege of holding that blower. It would have been taken away and field stripped into little tiny pieces.
I think the working end of the blower would have been inserted where the sun dont shine if he had showered stones on Jeffs car :biglaugh:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Never tried a blower, I usually go for the quick silicon blade wipe , the leather chamois for final dry. But an air compressor would be handy for the spots like mirrors, and brakes.

My bet is on the sand truck ... yikes, I stay farrrrrrrrrrr away from big trucks. They have a habit of launching stones at you.

Now, if you use your leaf blower as a vacuum as well ... better watch out stuff isn't stuck in the barrel that you will blow back out.

I stayed at a resort once and I swear the guy with the blower was following me from place to place. Everywhere I went, there he was. Pool, patio, beach chair ... that was also annoying, but I didn't get any chips :)

·
1,212 Posts
there's a guy that uses one at the parking lot at work on Monday mornings - doesn't really care if he's blowing stuff on everyone's car (sounds kinda rated-x)... he tries to get all the stuff from under everyone's car and ends up just churning stuff around in addition to pelting cars with rocks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
there's a guy that uses one at the parking lot at work on Monday mornings ... he tries to get all the stuff from under everyone's car and ends up just churning stuff around in addition to pelting cars with rocks.
A person almost needs a 'beater' just to be able to park at work in these situations ... ~shakes head. My dream is still one day to own a big beat up rusty truck and not worry about it, or who comes near it :) ... so relaxing :tu:

·
1,212 Posts
plenty of those around where I live - most of them have lots of crap in the truck bed that flies out whenever the vehicle hits a pothole or an expansion joint on the freeway. I make a point to not ever get behind a pick up truck when driving.

I've been hit with the following items while driving...

- Ducati Monster: 3x flattened soda cans (knee, foot, hand)
: 1x blackbird (30% on windscreen, 40% on chest, 30% on helmet)

- Corvette Grand Sport: 1x milk jug (empty), 2nd one flew over the cab

had to use a leaf blower to blow the feathers and blood off the windscreen and helmet (had to put that in this somewhere since this IS a leaf blower thread)

A person almost needs a 'beater' just to be able to park at work in these situations ... ~shakes head. My dream is still one day to own a big beat up rusty truck and not worry about it, or who comes near it :) ... so relaxing :tu:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.