Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Recently the BAS/ESP light came on in my 2001 320. The code showed that the lateral acceleration sensor is bad so I bought a checked used one. This made the light go away for a while and then came back with the same error. Cleaned the connection with drying contact cleaner and then put copper paste on the pins. The light went and came back again after a while. Bought an iCarsoft reader and ran some live tests (results in pic) while standing still at my driveway. What I noticed is that the yaw sensor is showing crazy values as well but it doesn't have any fault codes. Could it be caused by some contact issues at the lateral acc. sensor or should I investigate somewhere else? While doing the tests I sometimes managed to get the lateral sensor show values around 0 and that made the light go away so that is promising.

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi,

You have to Calibrate both G Sensors, not just plug and play.

I do not know if your iCarsoft will support this function, but certainly SDS does as I've done several now.

We did this to death on a recent thread on this forum, have a search about ;)

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Somewhere I read it was plug & play but looks like it was wrong. Will take look at it in my iCarsoft.

Cheers,
Matty

Registered 2002 SLK320
Please report back if iCs actually will activate the Calibration procedure, if you can't find it then it won't and you will need SDS ;)

Registered 2002 SLK320
Oh btw, the reason you see some guys (who don't know any better) tell you things are plug and play is because some sensors will be close to the original sensors values, so won't pop a fault code, but even then, their system will not be working at it's best.

It is the same with module replacements, most Modules will always require their "Version Coding" at least checking with SDS, and then corrected if needs be ;)

Registered 2001 SLK230
When I replaced the Lateral Acceleration Sensor on my 2001 SLK 230, it had to be calibrated. The only thing I've replaced so far that didn't need to be calibrated was the ABS Module and the N10-3 Module.

Registered 2002 SLK320
The only thing I've replaced so far that didn't need to be calibrated was the ABS Module and the N10-3
Hi,

Were their any Version Codings in ABS / ESP and perhaps N10/3 although I'm not actually sure if N10/3 is a communicating Module ??

I'm only asking because I've never delved into either, but if I replaced one I'd certainly plug SDS in just to have a look see ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Please report back if iCs actually will activate the Calibration procedure, if you can't find it then it won't and you will need SDS ;)
Hey! So I just checked the iCarsoft and it does have something that I suppose is the calibration procedure. (See pictures) One of its preconditions is replacing the lateral acceleration sensor. Tried it in my street but couldn't do it properly due to lack space (Will have to find an empty parking lot:D). Can you please confirm it is in fact the calibration procedure?

Attachments

Registered 2002 SLK320
Yes buddy, that is it, I always try to find an empty Industrial Estate Car Park out of business hours :)

I have problems right now, so if you need any further advice feel free to pm me or better still email [email protected] :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Hi! Did the road test today with no success so I compared iC's instructions with the STAR bulletin. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. Will have to come back to it during the weekend.

Matty

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi Matty,

Did the ABS / ESP Lights go out at any time whilst you were doing the procedure ?

If so that is the indication that the procedure has completed successfully, and then if they subsequently come on shortly after then there is likely another fault ............

Perhaps the Sensor you got is dodgy ?
Are you certain that you changed the correct G Sensor ? .........

They are both very close to each other under the Centre Console behind Shifter ;)

TBH in the past I have tried doing this procedure on 2 different expensive "professional grade" Generic Machines that I own, (Snap On and Autel Ultra Pro), without success, but it always works for me when using SDS ;)

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Dave,

Only the ABS light went out the ESP always stayed on. Once I managed to delete the ESP fault code with the scanner after the test, that made the light go away (and the sensor showed correct values) but came back when I would restart the car. With the same fault code: C1142-001

I'm sure I changed the lateral acceleration sensor (the smaller, cubical looking). I'm considering putting back the previous one (maybe someone changed it before me and forgot to calibrate it:unsure:) to see what values it shows.

Anyways if I don't succeed might have to contact a MB mechanic to check it out.

Thanks!
Matty

Registered 2002 SLK320
Hi Matty,

They are definitely a "problematical part", perhaps consider buying another, a good used one from a decent breakers, you certainly know what you are doing here, and certainly know more than local garages near me, I'd stick with it if I were you ;) .............

Here is a spare one I just photo'd, this is what it looks like :-

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hey,

Yeah that's the one I changed. Will run one more round with it once I get back from work for the weekend. Hopefully I can fix it but luckily these are not too expensive sensors. I do have trust issues with small garages as well:LOL:

Thanks!
Matty

Registered 2002 SLK320
I do have trust issues with small garages as well:LOL:
Hi Matty,

Except mine of course :D 馃ぃ

Lol I know what you're saying :)
Some of the bigger ones, especially main agents and chains are actually a bigger minefield too ;)
Some of them aren't being dishonest, they are just clueless, more so with MB's because they are always ahead of other cars and also do things differently to other mfrs ;)

But then that is one of the reasons I started this Business up a few years back, I got fed up with seeing and hearing all the tales of woe from local friends etc, and (without any advertising) it just got busier and busier, all word of mouth which works especially well in a smaller community like ours ;)

I never buy them new from MB, same with Modules, I just find an EBay breaker with good reputation, I don't buy used parts from EBay privates, the parts have often been removed for a reason ;)

If you were nearer I'd let you borrow this one for testing, but it is currently the only spare one I have ;)

Let us know how you get on ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Dave,

Yeah except yours :LOL: TBH I don't know any reputable garages in my 50km area (might be a good idea to start one:unsure:)

Yeah I usually order from eBay as well. Not many people break SLKs in Hungary (or even own one) so finding parts locally is almost impossible and sometimes more expensive than ordering one from abroad.

Thanks for the offer but I'll give this sensor one more chance and maybe try the old one. Will keep this thread updated once I get back home. ;)

Matty

Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
Hey Dave,

Yeah except yours :LOL: TBH I don't know any reputable garages in my 50km area (might be a good idea to start one:unsure:)

Yeah I usually order from eBay as well. Not many people break SLKs in Hungary (or even own one) so finding parts locally is almost impossible and sometimes more expensive than ordering one from abroad.

Thanks for the offer but I'll give this sensor one more chance and maybe try the old one. Will keep this thread updated once I get back home. ;)

Matty
You might find Germany a better hunting ground.
Even UK users look there at times.
German ebay has been fruitful.

There is a German MB forum (I forget name)

Registered 2002 SLK320
You might find Germany a better hunting ground.
Even UK users look there at times.
/\ /\ /\ Good call :)

I have also had much better success with German sellers, also Eastern European sellers have always been honest .................

IMHO I will put it this this way ..........

I buy a lot of parts.

I now only buy from trusted UK sellers who I have bought from in the past.

I have had tons of fake and / or defective parts from UK Sellers.

I have never had a defective or fake part from Germans or Eastern Europeans.

:)

HTH

1 - 20 of 52 Posts