Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can anybody be of help, my wife is looking for an SLK 350 late 2008 to early 2011 what problems should we be looking for. Any advise would be good.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,285 Posts
owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

get the vin so u can see what options

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

·
103,285 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
96 Posts
Hi, Can anybody be of help, my wife is looking for an SLK 350 late 2008 to early 2011 what problems should we be looking for. Any advise would be good.
I think that the facelift models are largely trouble free so buy on condition with an eye on the options list. Mine has airscarf, sat nav and gearshift paddles which are all good for resale values but never get used and is missing electric mirrors and parking sensors which I would find useful.

Heated seats can fail apparently and are very expensive to repair so make sure that they are working on any car that you look at.

If buying from a dealer test drive it with the roof up and get them to sort out any clunks and rattles over bumps and potholes and also make sure that the sat nav is updated. This costs over £150 if you do it yourself!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,891 Posts
I think that the facelift models are largely trouble free so buy on condition with an eye on the options list. Mine has airscarf, sat nav and gearshift paddles which are all good for resale values but never get used and is missing electric mirrors and parking sensors which I would find useful.

Heated seats can fail apparently and are very expensive to repair so make sure that they are working on any car that you look at.

If buying from a dealer test drive it with the roof up and get them to sort out any clunks and rattles over bumps and potholes and also make sure that the sat nav is updated. This costs over £150 if you do it yourself!

Good advice, tho I would say Sportspack with paddles is a must, in manual mode it's a different motor altogether, very hot!
Do be aware of all the options that were available (purchase from ebay or download a contemporary sales booklet) and if possible buy a car with your must haves, tho it may take a while to find it...... I would suggest
Full MB Service history (allows you to get MB Tier 1 Warranty, but if bought from an MB dealer will come with this automatically which is worth £700 and gives you twelve months peace of mind 0:))
BiXenons
Airscarf
Electric seats
Comand
Paddle shift (Sportspack)
Parktronic

Good Hunting
TonyS

·
Banned
804 Posts
Buy the latest model you can afford & avoid as many options as you can. Many of them aren't reliable and aren't necessary:

Power seats are useless, since the seats have limited adjustment.
Heated seats are a PITA to repair and are easily broken due to thin padding.
The air scarf is ridiculous. Are you so feeble and fragile you need warm air on your neck?
Paddle shifters is another dumb option that doesn't work very well.

For engine choice, get the V6. It's reliable and gets good MPG
The Sports Pkg is OK but the standard car is more practical.
The only tronic you should get is the 7-G.
Pay close attention to JB's list.

Remember, a MB is very expensive to repair, so you have to be very careful what you buy.>:D

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
98 Posts
Make sure you get a facelift version (May/June 2008 registration onwards) as more power, more economical and lower tax band in UK for most auto models, but check carefully!! Disagree with previous poster on seats - memory seats very useful if 2 different sized drivers - and on Airscarf - essential for UK, particularly if car parked outside in winter as it warms the cabin very quickly........as well as keeping neck warm in spring/autumn.

Do check heated seats work and for rattles from the roof and that the compressor is there for the spare tyre and as others have said that the Comand is updated. Paddles nice, Parktronic is excellent and though at one time I poopooed sensors, I wouldn't want to be without them now!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The air scarf is ridiculous. Are you so feeble and fragile you need warm air on your neck?
Paddle shifters is another dumb option that doesn't work very well.

For engine choice, get the V6. It's reliable and gets good MPG
The Sports Pkg is OK but the standard car is more practical.
The only tronic you should get is the 7-G.
Pay close attention to JB's list.

Remember, a MB is very expensive to repair, so you have to be very careful what you buy.>:D
Hi, Thanks for your reply, but, at 64 and 60 we are getting to the feeble age, I have spent much of my working life outside in all weathers, which I didn't find a problem.....so I have no problem at all with being cold, what I do have a problem with, is sitting in the cold.

We intend to drive this car all year round and as much of that time as possible with the roof down, if we want to sit inside whilst driving we have a nearly new Audi Q5 to use.

So we ask ourselves why spend out £16000+ for a car without heated seats and airscarf when you can also get one for the same price with airscarf and heated seats.

We are looking for a late 2008 to early 2011 SLK 350 which I believe is when Mercedes brought out the facelift model in the UK, SLK 350 with 305 BHP an the updated balance shaft 7-G tronic and so on.

What I would like to know is what to look for regarding any other problems such as rust and where they actually do rust the most, any suspenion problems, do the boots (trunk) leak on the SLK.

The car must also have a Full Mercedes Service history as we would rather take out an extended warranty. The comand is not a problem as you can get supply and fit for 1600 quid if we needed it.

·
1,891 Posts
Wkeith
You seem to have it nailed.
Re rust, shouldn't be a problem these cars are not noted for rust.
Roof seals can leak tho they are the exception rather than the rule. I had a boot seal replaced (under Warranty) on my 2010.
No suspension problems that I am aware of but be aware whilst Sportspack on 18" AMG alloys holds the road like a go-cart it is not as comfortable as standard on 17 or 16 rims.
Totally agree on MB Warranty.
Enjoy your search.
TonyS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we have done it. Just bought an SLK 350 year Feb 2010 £14000, 36000 miles being sold because owner is moving abroad.

Colour blue, FMBSH, electric seats and steering wheel with memory, airscarf, heated seats, comand, parking senors, voice thingy (I think that's the technical name) sports pack and clear wind deflector.

I have phoned the MB dealer who has serviced the car, and it has been serviced every year, last service Feb 2015 and was informed the car has no problems, also has a new MOT from the same dealership and they said there are no advisories.

We are picking the car up on Thursday the second, haven't actually seen the car as it is 600 miles round trip away from us so have had a full RAC Prestige inspection carried out showing no problems.

The question is:
What is included in the sports pack? we know it has flappers on the steering wheel, apart from that we haven't a clue.

·
103,285 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
The Sport Package usually includes stiffer, lower springs with matching dampers, larger diameter wheels & tires, and a body styling kit. Some years also include a brake upgrade.

·
Registered Still SLK-less. Maybe one day ...
585 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase - hope you both enjoy your new toy when the car arrives.

·
1,891 Posts
Well we have done it. Just bought an SLK 350 year Feb 2010 £14000, 36000 miles being sold because owner is moving abroad.

Colour blue, FMBSH, electric seats and steering wheel with memory, airscarf, heated seats, comand, parking senors, voice thingy (I think that's the technical name) sports pack and clear wind deflector.

I have phoned the MB dealer who has serviced the car, and it has been serviced every year, last service Feb 2015 and was informed the car has no problems, also has a new MOT from the same dealership and they said there are no advisories.

We are picking the car up on Thursday the second, haven't actually seen the car as it is 600 miles round trip away from us so have had a full RAC Prestige inspection carried out showing no problems.

The question is:
What is included in the sports pack? we know it has flappers on the steering wheel, apart from that we haven't a clue.
Welcome to the SLK World Forum.....everything you want to know about your SLK is here, somewhere.........0:)

Many congrats on your purchase, our cars are only a few months apart :wink:
Sports pack also red trimmed floor mats and red stitching on seats, black roof lining, carbon effect trim, drilled front brake discs. Red seatbelts were an option. Front suspension lowered 10mm. Rear boot AMG spoiler,
Voice control is "linguatronic". Do take the time to program this as it works very well (despite what Jeremy Clarkson said), controlling all Comand functions but is particularly useful with nav function allowing you to tell the car where you want to go whilst on the move and no button pushing, cool!
Flappy paddles on the steering wheel make for red hot performance in M- manual, so worth exploring, otherwise tootle around in C and do 30 mpg!
It's like two different cars.
If it's in lovely condition I think you have struck an excellent bargain there, tho it depresses me a little on re-sale values! :frown:

Do post some pics when you get your lovely new motor.
Best
TonyS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.