Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days after bringing home the SLK I noticed liquid on the front edge of the headliner. It was visibly wet about 1-2in. back from the front, and there were a dozen or so drops dangling along the lowest part between the center and the right side. Hadn't seen anything during test cycling, the PPI, or previous days at home. The liquid was slightly slippery like brake fluid. I figured it was the latch cylinder and ordered Marty's kit.

Popped off the headliner this morning and...nothing. Cycled the latch a dozen times and couldn't see any drops. But the headliner is wet under the right side trim and front as in the pics, plus the backing is wet to about 2/3 of the way back, wetter at the front.

Now, here's the twist. The morning after the liquid appeared, last Saturday, I was driving around and noticed the hardtop switch was blinking at me. I tried closing the top more, and it seems it hadn't latched properly the previous night. I park outside on an uphill slope...could the hill have kept the top from closing properly, and condensation passed between the windshield and roof panel? We do get an amazing amount of condensation here, about 8 miles from the ocean.

But the stuff that soaked into the headliner, maybe not enough to ruin it (IMO! I only need "daily driver" condition), does look like hydraulic fluid. And the stuff under the side trim is definitely slipperier than water.

So, to bust open the actuator and replace the seal with the Marty Ring? Or...not to bust?

I'm tempted to drive around with the headliner off for a week and keep cycling the top to see whether the actuator leaks, but wouldn't it damage the roof paint if it leaked on it in the trunk? Or is ZH-M friendlier to paint than brake fluid?

T h a n k s :)

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,082 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
almost certain it was "'locked' limited switch not actuated"

will do the actuator seal this week. today is get-rid-of-an-ugly-wood-steering-wheel day :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.