Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
does anyone know if i can increase the rear tyres size on my 08 SLK 55 AMG from 245 to 265 on the OEM rims. They being the diamind cut 18" ?
Thanks

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I was told by my tyre fitter if you go over the max tyre width for the rim with low profiles, because the walls are very stiff all you do is force the centre of the tyre up and wear it out quickly, not to mention the loss of grip

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,304 Posts
tiledhouse,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Hi
does anyone know if i can increase the rear tyres size on my 08 SLK 55 AMG from 245 to 265 on the OEM rims. They being the diamind cut 18" ?
Thanks
I do run 255 on my 350 but the guy said thats the max. Depends on what size your rims are

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Do a search on tire calculator. On the OEM SLK 55 18-in rims, the max is 255 for the 8.5-inch wide rims, as stated above.

Reactions: tiledhouse

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JohnB & Eddy
it looks 255 is the marker.I'm good with that. The more i look & drive the car, the more i want to stay with OEM rims.
I've had bad experiences in the past with non OEM unless you spent well & buy proper quality. There is a lot of inferior rims from China around in the UK these days. Not saying all bad but you need to get approved rated (TUG?) or your risking things with powerfull motors.Anyway.thanks again. Will take your advice

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Thanks JohnB & Eddy
it looks 255 is the marker.I'm good with that. The more i look & drive the car, the more i want to stay with OEM rims.
I've had bad experiences in the past with non OEM unless you spent well & buy proper quality. There is a lot of inferior rims from China around in the UK these days. Not saying all bad but you need to get approved rated (TUG?) or your risking things with powerfull motors.Anyway.thanks again. Will take your advice

I run after market rims on the front with 225's and OEM rims on the rears with 255's If you buy from a reputable seller you dont have too much to worry about. OEM is fine if you dont mind paying top dollar for everything.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi Tiled

I've got std rims on my 55 & i have 255's on the rear as they were £10 cheaper each than 245's , no rubbing no problems .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
I also run 255 (+1 size but still the max for the 8.5in wide wheel.) The tire compound itself matters more than that 10mm more width of a 265 though. If you want better grip, get a tire with more grip, not the same tire with a centimeter more width.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the colour combo

Do a search on tire calculator. On the OEM SLK 55 18-in rims, the max is 255 for the 8.5-inch wide rims, as stated above.
Saw your car!
reminded me a bit of my own
love the interior, show more.:Beer:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Saw your car!
reminded me a bit of my own
love the interior, show more.:Beer:
You may elect to check the Garage and Album (under Community) photos; check top row menu bar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Slk55amg

Hi Guys
My first here and have done the introduction already!
I was also wondering about the rear tyres? So I can go 255 then?
Can the front wheels take 245?
Also what if the profile goes a bit higher but what's the max on the 18" for the profile?
I have run-flats on my car

Thanks

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe you will have problems with 245 on the front. Most only go to 235.
Problem will be that you wont get the profile low enough to avoid catching the strut inside.
On the rears use a tyre comparison calculator. See link below, you should aim to keep the difference in tyre diamiter to within 2.5% otherwise you will have large variances between the speed you are doing & what your speedo says!

Tire size calculator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.