Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for good places to practice driving skills that have no people, poles, trees, etc etc. Oh and does anyone know of any sweet round-a-bouts like this or safe places to practice drifting:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looking for good places to practice driving skills that have no people, poles, trees, etc etc. Oh and does anyone know of any sweet round-a-bouts like this or safe places to practice drifting: YouTube- 350z drift
I assume virtually every parking lot is covered by security cameras and possibly security guards. Even if they don't catch you in person drifting or other aggressive driving adventures, they may catch you on camera, even in off hours when the related businesses are closed.

That being said, there certainly are plenty of large parking lots that should be empty from midnight to 6 am lol Try any large shopping mall.

If you want to learn to drift a little more legitimately you could try a school like Drift 101:

http://www.driftday.com/

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume virtually every parking lot is covered by security cameras and possibly security guards. Even if they don't catch you in person drifting or other aggressive driving adventures, they may catch you on camera, even in off hours when the related businesses are closed.

That being said, there certainly are plenty of large parking lots that should be empty from midnight to 6 am lol Try any large shopping mall.

If you want to learn to drift a little more legitimately you could try a school like Drift 101:

http://www.driftday.com/
Thanks for the advice and the link! I will definitely look into it :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
You're gonna drift a SLK350? Probably not the best choice for cars to drift. Way too heavy, and way too expensive to fix.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're gonna drift a SLK350? Probably not the best choice for cars to drift. Way too heavy, and way too expensive to fix.
It's not impossible to do for I have done it before. I would rather do it in an empty parking lot where I cannot harm a person or my car

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Exhibition of speed, (even on private property open to the public, such as parking lots) is a misdemanor (arrestable offense) in California. Two points on your driving record and your car will likely get impounded.

If there is more than one car involved, it would likely be deemed a speed contest. Jail is again possible, two points on your driving record, and your car WILL be impounded for 30 days.

Either of these violations on one's driving record almost certainly guarantees a significant increase in insurance costs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exhibition of speed, (even on private property open to the public, such as parking lots) is a misdemanor (arrestable offense) in California. Two points on your driving record and your car will likely get impounded.

If there is more than one car involved, it would likely be deemed a speed contest. Jail is again possible, two points on your driving record, and your car WILL be impounded for 30 days.

Either of these violations on one's driving record almost certainly guarantees a significant increase in insurance costs.
Yea thats a bustt although Exhibition of speed sounds bad-a** hhahah

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Exhibition of speed, (even on private property open to the public, such as parking lots) is a misdemanor (arrestable offense) in California.
Does "exhibition of speed" include peeling away from a traffic light etc? (What in some states is called "unnecessary acceleration")

·
Registered
843 Posts
Seeing how you are also in Irvine, may i suggest this:

http://www.adamsmotorsportspark.com/racing/drifting/

Riverside is a relatively close drive down the 241 & at $20 extremely cheap
$20 is an amazing deal, and you can compare notes with other like minded drivers, and best yet, you don't have to worry about getting arrested.

It still won't turn me into a drifter, as my mindset is to get better traction whenever possible, not less. I foresee a set of compound R tires in my future :biglaugh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$20 is an amazing deal, and you can compare notes with other like minded drivers, and best yet, you don't have to worry about getting arrested.

It still won't turn me into a drifter, as my mindset is to get better traction whenever possible, not less. I foresee a set of compound R tires in my future :biglaugh:
eh I have a set of crappy kumho ecstas on. I'm getting better rubber when school ends. If I'm gonna wear them down, I might as well have fun with it, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey finally someone from Irvine. This looks really cool. I will definitely go since it's only $20 and is better than a boring parking lot.
I have wanted to go there for awhile. We should get a group together and go out there. There is also a track set up at El Toro Air Force base, but it is expensive, better off going to Willow Springs.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Years ago when I was in high school, I got a ticket in Texas, in my pickup truck, peeling out at a red light.
You know...where you brake enough not to move and spin your tires as you are sitting still.
We called it "Smoking the tires".

On the ticket it was called "reckless driving". :biglaugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is also a track set up at El Toro Air Force base, but it is expensive.
Ive tried looking for infor about El Toro, but with no luck. You have a link or source?

I have wanted to go there for awhile. We should get a group together and go out there.
I came across that place a few months ago and have been wanting to go check it out one night

1 - 16 of 16 Posts