Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLK is very quick to fish tail when accelerating around corners and round a bouts , tyres and suspension look ok.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Depends when you accelerate and how hard you accelerate.. And yes, rear wheel drive does that, which is why it's more fun to drive on the limit than front wheel drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor grip on bends

Thanks for the input and yes rear wheel drive is the only way :D

Unfortunately this is a bit more than that, I have driven rear wheel drives for many years merc's and currently a 5 series. This is my wife's car and she is now quiet nervous.

·
Registered
373 Posts
you would upgrade to wider wheels/tires for more grip. there are other various suspension upgrades you could do to increase grip and handling

·
Registered
83 Posts
hate to ask dumb question. do you have the proper tires on the car? correct size for front and back? correct ratings? directional tires rolling in the proper direction?

did this just all of a sudden start happening? if so something is not right and needs to be fixed asap..

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I would check the anti-lock brake system and the ESP. My car cuts the power from the engine as soon as the back end breaks loose. I'm not talking about sliding it sideways, but instead as soon as it starts to spin the rear tires, the engine backs way off on horsepower. I couldn't spin the rear tires on dirt roads. I tried it--it won't do it. Also, it helps to have the switch by the gearshift in the 'W' mode rather than the 'S' mode. Starts off in second gear that way. That being said, if I turn off the ESP then the rear end will come around in a split second just like one would expect it to; especially if the road is wet!

You ought to discuss with your wife the cost of rear tires and the possibility of having her buy them. That might keep her right foot from pushing the pedal too far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check your air pressure, inside the fuel door is the recommended air pressure just remember less pressure = more grip less gas milage, more pressure = less grip better gas mileage. Also verify your ESP is working as should and verify your alignment is correct:burnout: -Rick

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Thanks for the input and yes rear wheel drive is the only way :D

Unfortunately this is a bit more than that, I have driven rear wheel drives for many years merc's and currently a 5 series. This is my wife's car and she is now quiet nervous.
In my experience it's not typical for the SLK 200 to have poor rear end stability, quite the opposite. The rear end can be encouraged to let go, but under normal driving should not hang the tail out at all. I suggest you get the car into workshop and have the suspension checked out. Sounds like something is amiss.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second the tire check recommendation. I have cheap no name tires on my SLK but they are brand new. I can corner hard and not lose the rear unless I want to. Even with ESP turned off it shouldn't break loose as much as yours seems to.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My 320 handled strangely when I first got it. One of the front/rear wheels was switched. You might want to check the ratings on the tires, some tire compounds wear very well, but the traction rating is not good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.