Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from 10 days in Northern France. Took the ferry from Portsmouth - St. Malo, and back via Roscoff - Plymouth, both overnight sailings on Brittany Ferries. Weather was mostly superb - hot & sunny, and the food and wine was pretty good also.

Only spotted two (silver) R171s and an SLK230 with whom we had a little blast!!

The sheepsmobile has now done over 10500 miles - more than 3K in the last few weeks :eek:

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,196 Posts
welcome back!!!

·
Registered--In between SLK's
14,959 Posts
I was hoping for some pictures of sheep!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Looks like you had a great time, thanks for the photos

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tres Bien! J'aime La France! J'ai etudier a strasbourg quands j'etais a l'ecole, mais mon francaise n'es pas bien. (J'etudie dans chile aussi),,

I only wish I could have been driving a car like an SLK while I was there! haha.

Beautiful trip, beautiful pictures! Looks like a great time!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Very cool :tu:

Very Ba-a-a-a-a-a (in a good way), same as "sick" or "bad" (slang).

Must have been a bla-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ast !!!

Reactions: Woolly

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow, makes me realize how much I would like to visit France again! Looks like a wonderful road trip!
I hope you can make it soon. If you want to enjoy windy roads without any red light and striking sceneries you should try Corsica.

I rented a Mustang on the west coast of Florida in February. I could not enjoy it really as it is a bit of a pain to have to stop at a red light every 100 yards. I wish the US could adopt roundabouts one of those days.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
73 Posts
Hi Woolly. I am just planning a trip to France via Plymouth-Roscoff and/or Poole-Cherbourg in my SLK 280 (R171), but am a bit concerned about the ground clearance when getting on & off the ferry. I realise its a while since your trip, but did you have any problems getting on/off the ferry?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Woolly. I am just planning a trip to France via Plymouth-Roscoff and/or Poole-Cherbourg in my SLK 280 (R171), but am a bit concerned about the ground clearance when getting on & off the ferry. I realise its a while since your trip, but did you have any problems getting on/off the ferry?

Hi there, not a problem at all - I've been more worried about speed humps & raised crossings in the UK, than the ramp approach/departure angles on the ferries.

I've taken the Sheepsmobile on several ferries to France, Holland, Norway & Eire, and never even considered the possibility of grounding.

Go for it, & make sure you take plenty of pics!!

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
73 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Glad that you didn't have any problems and I'll let everyone know how I get on with Brittany ferries. I will also take lots of photos and post some on here when I am done.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
Be interesting to hear how you get on...

We were always concerned about ground clearance with our TRs with their lowered suspension... but never thought we might have any probls with the R171 clearance..

Hope you enjoy your trip to France... how far down are you coming ??

:smile::smile::smile:

Stella

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
73 Posts
Not far on this trip. Just a week around Bas-Normandy followed by a week in Brittany. Should be fun though on those french roads!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
French roads are generally much clearer than in the UK... so enjoy yourself.

With the steering wheel on the right.. and driving on the right...you can stick close to the edge of the roads.. and keep out of the path of the oncoming traffic.. :smile::smile: which seems to come along the middle of the road if there is no white line.. :wink:

but do watch out for speed limits, the speedcops are hot on the trail of all infringers at this time of year.. :frown:

Hope you have a good holiday.. 0:)0:)

Stella

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.