Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lot's of yellow lights (ABS, stability and other controls) on my dash and when I scanned my SLK350 two confirmed codes were found. C0034 and C0031 (Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor and Left ditto). Car only has done 50.000 miles (80.000 km). I have not changed wheels or tires.

Rather than just changing the sensors (I sense they are a weak part reading through this and other forums) are there any ways to fix this issue? I tried to reset codes with my BlueDriver OBD scanner to no avail.
Speedometer Light Odometer Gauge Tachometer

The picture above I have shamelessly "borrowed" from a US member of this community. My dash is looking identical but wording is unfortunately in Danish on my car (another "issue" I need to resolve - as I prefer to have my car "speak" English to me).

·
*Registered
2011 SLK200/2004 SLK350
54 Posts
Hey there,

I currently have the same issue. My left speed sensor gave the error. I order the part on ebay and hopefully, im going to receive the part next week so I can get it sorted. its not that expensive and hard to replace.

the part no was 1725400017 and has been superseded by 1729056101.

this might help too:

Cheers,

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there,

I currently have the same issue. My left speed sensor gave the error. I order the part on ebay and hopefully, im going to receive the part next week so I can get it sorted. its not that expensive and hard to replace.

the part no was 1725400017 and has been superseded by 1729056101.

this might help too:

Cheers,
Hi there in Auckland

Thanks, I now also found this part here in Europe. It is compatible with the MB part numbers you kindly supplied. The left and right ABS sensors are identical and the cost for two is approximately $100 US. I will order two. I have no idea yet, on how hard they are to replace. Hopefully, I can find a description of the work involved somewhere?
Automotive lighting Font Auto part Bicycle part Circle

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there in Auckland

Thanks, I now also found this part here in Europe. It is compatible with the MB part numbers you kindly supplied. The left and right ABS sensors are identical and the cost for two is approximately $100 US. I will order two. I have no idea yet, on how hard they are to replace. Hopefully, I can find a description of the work involved somewhere? View attachment 606475

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much Windinmyhair. Yes I am capable of changing a wheel (Changing tires I leave to the pros :)). I actually now found the parts for half the price of what I quoted above so I will order and take a stab at getting this issue resolved.

Thanks for all helps and pointers. Much appreciated.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
235 Posts
Hi, just bear in mind the ABS ring can also fail. It is probably the sensor, but if the ring corrodes or is damaged it will also give the wrong signals, not sure how prone MB is to failed abs rings, some cars it’s common, some it rarely happens.

·
**Registered 2014 SLK55 AMG
30 Posts
Best to exercise caution when ordering this part. I bought a wheel sensor from fleabay thinking it looked the same and was listed as compatible (Kerr Nelson ref ALB944), however it wasn't. Although both ends fitted and the length was correct, the moulded on rubber bands which clip it in place were wrong. I fitted it regardless, but it didn't fix the fault. On complaining to the vendor, I received the following reply which may be of use for members here:

Hi Glyn

Thank you for your patience.

We are so sorry that the part is not correct.

The Mercedes OE parts catalog lists the OE part number as: A1725400017 which does match the part you ordered. Its does look like Kerr Nelson are matching this part incorrectly.

Sadly we do not have the correct part that matches A1725400017 but that part number will help you in your search.

We suggest avoiding parts made by the SMPE group (Intermotor, Lucas, Lemark, Kerr Nelson and Fuel Parts) as these will all exhibit the same problem.

I then ordered a ATE unit which is working fine. I'll say this before someone else does; serves me right for trying to fit an ersatz part!

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Unboxing ... Bought these on AutoDoc. I hope they work. I ordered these before I saw GlynJ's comment above. Appears this is a recurring issue with my model, so better get the handle on replacing these. Wish me luck.

Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Font Silver Jewellery

·
30 Posts
@Hank T I have compared your photo with the (genuine) Mercedes item that I removed. Your new sensor appears to have the same problem that my Kerr Nelson item had, namely the two different rubber bands fixed around the cable have been reversed. This means the cable will not clip in place as intended. The ends of the sensor appear to be correct and should fit there. The Metzger photo that you posted earlier shows the correct configuration, therefore you should have grounds for returning the item you received.

My R172 has a model year of 2015 maybe there was a change from earlier model years; but I doubt it. My theory is that these faulty items were made for the C Class and heedlessly copied for the SLK. I stand to be corrected here.

The ATE item that I fitted successfully has the part number on the packaging 360436. It also references 24.0711 - 6389.3.

The number printed on the original failed sensor next to the Mercedes logo is A 172 905 61 01 (random logo) 1

Hopefully my habit of retaining old parts and their packaging has proven useful after all!

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Hank T I have compared your photo with the (genuine) Mercedes item that I removed. Your new sensor appears to have the same problem that my Kerr Nelson item had, namely the two different rubber bands fixed around the cable have been reversed. This means the cable will not clip in place as intended. The ends of the sensor appear to be correct and should fit there. The Metzger photo that you posted earlier shows the correct configuration, therefore you should have grounds for returning the item you received.

My R172 has a model year of 2015 maybe there was a change from earlier model years; but I doubt it. My theory is that these faulty items were made for the C Class and heedlessly copied for the SLK. I stand to be corrected here.

The ATE item that I fitted successfully has the part number on the packaging 360436. It also references 24.0711 - 6389.3.

The number printed on the original failed sensor next to the Mercedes logo is A 172 905 61 01 (random logo) 1

Hopefully my habit of retaining old parts and their packaging has proven useful after all!
Thanks for pointing this out GlynJ. I see what you mean. I will order the correct one (i.e. with the rubber mounts reversed) based on your comments. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

·
30 Posts
@Hank T I also ordered my correct part from Autodoc Berlin, with the article number 24.0711 - 6389.3. It cost me £51.01 all in, delivered to UK including £3.29 for 'safe order' which extends the return period.

-Glyn

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Hank T I also ordered my correct part from Autodoc Berlin, with the article number 24.0711 - 6389.3. It cost me £51.01 all in, delivered to UK including £3.29 for 'safe order' which extends the return period.

-Glyn
And I just paid a similar amount for mine. Hopefully they will fit.

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I didn’t realized until I looked carefully. I was worried I got the wrong item because It took a month for the sensor to arrived. Thanks @GylnJ for pointing it out.

View attachment 606725
The drama continues, as I just received a mail from Autodoc, apologizing they don't have the correct (ATE) part in stock, instead they suggested to (again!) send me the more inexpensive and wrong part. As I already have 4 of the wrong parts, and I certainly don't want 2 more I wrote that back to them. I hope they will pull the wrong parts so others don't run into these issues. I also hope they will find a correct set. I did explain the problem to them.

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update. I installed the speed sensor and after driving a few blocks the light is gone. When I removed the faulty sensor i noticed there are some dirt that build up and sticks on the tip of the sensor.
So maybe it is possible to make a temporary cure by just cleaning the sensor tip?

·
*Registered
2011 SLK200/2004 SLK350
54 Posts
I have tried this when the error was intermittent. I removed the sensor, cleaned it, i have also cleaned the sensor hole with some cotton buds (not sure if this is recommended / safe) but there was a lot of dirt inside, then compressed air. but when I put back the sensor, I’m still having the same problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts