Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about identifying a knocking noise in the rear of the car? It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, in the corner of the car near the wheel.

I got a couple of theories:
1) Shocks
2) Suspension mounting
3) Parking brake
4) something else?

To test the shocks, I pushed down firmly on the trunk, to see if the suspension made any noises when parked up but it didn't. The suspension compressed as I was pushing down, then the car returned to normal standing height when I let go. So that seems fine?

I'm not sure how to check the suspension mountings, maybe remove the rear wheel arch liner? I'm not sure what i'd be looking at though, some movement in them i suppose, or if they have perished badly?

What i'm not sure about is the parking brake. If I have it firmly applied, and very gently accelerate, the wheels still move a little - perhaps about 10° of rotation. I'm not sure if the parking brake is meant to immediately lock the wheels or if there's meant to be a little movement to allow the car to come to a rest? If I park on an incline, the car will roll back ever so slightly I think - or perhaps it is just weight transferring to the rear wheels?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
525 Posts
noise is probably broken spring, happend to mine, and quite common.

good nedws is easy to check, and easy to replace, but replace both.

hand brake is a small drum brake arrangement, inside rear disk. nothing fancy!

easy to drive off against it, but should hold firmly on a hill.

probably worth a service, along with rear calipers, if not done recently.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
459 Posts
The red one seemed to be making a noise from the rear. Then discovered a broken FRONT spring, replaced both front springs and now no noise seeming to come from the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts