Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I don't yet own a SLK, but come August I probably will. I'm looking at getting an SLK300; budget of about £20k. Seen a few nice examples already inside my budget.

Before I head off searching & test driving, I like to know a few things about the cars. Is there a list of common faults/problems/issues anywhere on this site? If not, is there anything I should be wary of?

I like 'rare' cars. I currently have 2 MGs. A ZT190 and ZR diesel. I was going to go for the new MG6, but it doesn't do it for me. I like the look of the SLK, and I don't see too many of them about, which is what I like!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,847 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from Los Angeles. The SLK is a great choice.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,656 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at Arms

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Welcome from Ottawa Canada. The 300 you refer to is the 171 model? Great choice I would think...good balance of performance and mileage. Everyone here will tell you, I analyzed my purchase to death, that being said, ask yourself what you want it to do. Do you care about the sound system? MT or Auto? More grunt - go 350. Top down smiles and better mileage - maybe a 280 or even 200 (but by your stable I'm guessing you like to zip about a bit). Colours?

Only 171 issue of note is early 05's had some oil consumption/leaking issues, but most were caught up by a bulletin. Get a look at any car's maintenance history for trends. I don't know if there is an equivilent of Carfax over there, where you can check for accident history.

Welcome...all sorts of help and advice before during and after your purchase.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome from South Florida. I suggest '06 or newer if you could swing it, you'll have a hard time wiping the grin off your face! :tazz:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from NW Blighty.... :)

An SLK 300 (used to be called a 280 in the UK) would be a nice ride. Especially if you can get one with a manual 'box and sport pack... R)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Der Flieger: "I don't know if there is an equivilent of Carfax over there, where you can check for accident history."

Yep - we have HPI - it's a register that anyone with £25 (cheaper if you are in the trade) can use to get a vehicle's history, including accidents, outstanding loans or credit, etc.
Useful, but not completely foolproof - occasionally one slips through the net.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah well, gone & done it.

Bought an SLK350

High insurance.
High fuel costs.
High road tax.

Who cares??! Not me! Pick it up on 26 May, can't wait! :D

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Ah well, gone & done it.

Bought an SLK350

..... Pick it up on 26 May, can't wait! :D
Congratulations :tu: What colour exterior and interior? What model year? Manual or auto transmission?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts