Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I`ve just installed a pair of new Kleemann Headers with catless downpipes and X-pipe.
I noticed an improvement in performance, will check the changes on a dyno in a couple days, but I am not sure if I am happy with it or not.

Previously I had second cats and resonator removed, kept the 1st cats and fitted an X-Pipe. It was just right sounding, loud enough and with mellow burbling tone even revving high.

Now it is incredibly loud and have a trumphet kind of sound when floored. I know it still sounds amazing, but I am not sure if like being a nuisance for all the people around by having such a roaring monster.

I used to rev the engine using it everyday, I used to like to go a couple gears down and give it a pedal to the metal. But now I am driving much less manically trying to keep the revs below 3000.

What do you think, guys? Have anyone been through such a feeling? Should I try to get used to it?
If no, could installing a stock reso make it quieter but to keep the performance figures?
It is not the drone I don`t like, it is the actual beastly sound that scares a hell of me and people around :)

Here is the new video. In real life it is much much louder.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,095 Posts
That sound is not too loud at all

Mine is louder cause of my Supercharger :D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,723 Posts
Hi All

I had almost the same mod as you but I have kept the rear CATs , check my sig for the cold start , Yes its louder than Xpipes & two CATs , I had the Xpipe mod to start with but kept all four CATs so I could have the header mod & keep two CATs . No one has told me its too loud yet but at some point I'm sure some one will , I wanted the low burbling of the V8 & this is what this mod give me . You could go back & have the centre box put back in ??

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to get used to it now. I will give it a chance for a couple weeks. If no - I will put a resonator back or a pair of high flow cats.

By the way guys, I could not manage to find the numbers there on the board, and to not to create another topic I would ask if somebody had tested actual 0-62 acceleration times after such performance mods as headers+decat+ECU tune? It should result in about 395-ish BHP, which should be around 4.5-4.6 seconds, am I wrong?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,723 Posts
Hi All

Yes mine was dyno at about the same 397bhp but that was with normal OEM air filters , I now have Greens air filters installed so i'm hoping its just dropped over the 400 mark .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All

Yes mine was dyno at about the same 397bhp but that was with normal OEM air filters , I now have Greens air filters installed so i'm hoping its just dropped over the 400 mark .

Cheers

Andy
Thanks Andy, but what about 0-62 time, did it become faster in actual numbers? Because an SLK 55 AMG R172 has about 415 HP and its 0-62 time is about 4.2 - 4.4 sec. If you have nearly the same amount of power, identical transmission and chassis, r171 rime should be close to r172.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Andy, but what about 0-62 time, did it become faster in actual numbers? Because an SLK 55 AMG R172 has about 415 HP and its 0-62 time is about 4.2 - 4.4 sec. If you have nearly the same amount of power, identical transmission and chassis, r171 rime should be close to r172.
rime = time

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Mercedes 4.9 seconds time is considered very conservative. There have been examples of 4.2 seconds being recorded with a standard spec car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mercedes 4.9 seconds time is considered very conservative. There have been examples of 4.2 seconds being recorded with a standard spec car.
I measured stock time 0-62 using racelogic last year and it was straight 4.9. After the header mod my car feels much quicker. I will measure the dynamics again for sure, but I wonder if there are user proven data exists.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I measured stock time 0-62 using racelogic last year and it was straight 4.9. After the header mod my car feels much quicker. I will measure the dynamics again for sure, but I wonder if there are user proven data exists.
A quick Google came up with Car and Driver getting 4.3.

Can't remember who did 4.2, I thought it was a mag or TV programme?

Hopefully someone else will remember

·
95,095 Posts
0-80 :D you time it :D count the light poles

·
95,095 Posts
fyi for newbies
N/A does not mean not applicable or not authorized but normally aspirated :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Strange, the Kleemann website says that Headers + Downpipe + ECU gives around 415hp, I guess that`s why they wrote `up to 415hp`. It could be 361 or 415.. marketing...

·
95,095 Posts
Strange, the Kleemann website says that Headers + Downpipe + ECU gives around 415hp, I guess that`s why they wrote `up to 415hp`. It could be 361 or 415.. marketing...
oem stock 360 hp + 25 hp for tune + 25 hp for headers = 410 hp approx

what's 5 hp among friends :D

·
95,095 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.