Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys (and gals), I have been researching adding Kleemann Headers and a Tune to my 06 SLK55 this spring and am interested in hearing opinions from those who have done it and those who researched it and then went in a different direction.

Personally I like the idea of picking up around 40HP and I don't think around $3K installed is too bad of a price to pay for that.

Pros, Cons and other input welcome!

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kleemann headers remove the factory cat, so if you have to pass emissions u are out of luck. They also use to be priced a lot higher. When the priced was reduced so was the quality and I believe they are now made in CHINA. So expect improper fitment. If you going to pay big bank for headers, get some made right here in USA. Dynocomp are good ones.

AMS shorties are from China too, but have good fitment and will pass emissions, but make less horsepower.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got Kleemann headers, but it's for an '05 c30k ss. Even though it was complimented by a custom exhaust system and Speed Innovations ECU flash, felt like the header was more for the sound than anything else. Got one in the first batch as a group buy for $750, but still think it's pricey for what I got out of it.

The ECU tune though was awesome.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've got exactly the same setup as Nevada Joe, and have zero problems passing inspections. I did a complete fab job back to the resonator so that I could remove them and go back to factory.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OEM headers are very very restrictive. They plain suck. The are the same headers on all V8 benz engines around that time (04-10'). I think the 6.3 liter engines use the same crappy header.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also have the Kleemann tune, but I opted to go with the MBH stainless long tube headers. The dyno showed a 45hp gain from this setup. I kept the stock exhaust, but the sound is noticeably throatier at higher revs (and similar to stock when you get off throttle). It never fails to put a grin on my face when getting on the freeway...

·
Banned
433 Posts
I also have the Kleemann tune, but I opted to go with the MBH stainless long tube headers. The dyno showed a 45hp gain from this setup. I kept the stock exhaust, but the sound is noticeably throatier at higher revs (and similar to stock when you get off throttle). It never fails to put a grin on my face when getting on the freeway...
Was the 45 hp gain to the wheels or crank?

What were the peak before/after numbers?

·
Banned
433 Posts
thanks for the update

My "before" numbers were similar 280hp/276tq, also on a Mustang dyno, with 93 octane as premium here.

I haven't dynoed since my Kleemann headers & tune, hopefully my "after" numbers are similar.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Hey Cadeca, who did your Kleemann upgrades for you? Was it a shop in Southern California or did you take the car to Colorado?

·
Registered
101 Posts
bumpa2, look forward to seeing the after results. I sure miss the 93 octane from my East Coast days.

Stinger, I had my work done at ACG in San Diego. Tal and James are great to work with!

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Thanks Cadeca. I'm beginning to research the whole Kleemann banana. But I'm not feeling really good about their local dealers here. There is one shop in the South Bay Area that's been around for a while but has mixed reviews (even though I detest Yelp, I can't help but to be swayed). The other dealer is in San Francisco, a shop called Octane that seems to be pretty above board so I might stop in there to interview them. But definitely, for a proper shop I would not mind taking the drive to San Diego and camping out there for a couple of days while they do the work.

I see that they are an authorized Kleemann dealer and the only one in California that has a website (not that a website matters but it's good to see someone keeping up with the times, on the other hand, maybe those without a website are just so busy they don't have time to bring their business out of the "dark ages").

I think I will drop them an email. (Email just sent)

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Nice numbers. I've also been considering the MBH long tubes but haven't bitten the bullet on the price yet. What did you do with the cats?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stinger - I would definitely vouch for them and could think of worse places than San Diego to spend a few days while waiting for upgrades. Just imagine the fun drive back up the coast with the added power!

JamesSLK - Have all my stock parts sitting on a shelf in the garage...just in case I need to go back to stock. Probably should get rid of the diff since the Quaife has a lifetime warranty.

·
Banned
433 Posts
The Kleemann setup also removes only the front cats.

The speed shop that took off my OEM cats said they are worth several hundred dollars because of the material they are made out, so you can count that as a discount in the price if you want to sell them instead of keep them for later. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
No, I kept the stock cats. Would be interested if others have swapped out the rear cats for more gains. I thought the stock headers were very restrictive, but wanted to keep the sound level reasonable. Overall, I am happy with the outcome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts